What can I expect for an upper gi on my baby?

I have to take my 3 month old DD in for an upper GI in a couple of weeks and I'd really like to know what to expect. So what was your experience? Can I be with her? Is the barium given straight, or do they mix it with formula? If it's with formula can I provide bm instead? How long does the whole thing last? Will they put her under at all? Are there any risks involved? Anything else I should know or you'd like to share?

Mommy2Phenley

Asked by Mommy2Phenley at 7:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they want to use formula tell them no and use BM otherwise they need to find another way. If shes already having enough issues to need an upper GI she shouldn't be given formula if shes used to BM. I dunno about the other questions sorry sweetie.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2008

• They do not mix it with formula. The barium is a somewhat thick white liquid that they drink from a bottle. If I remember correctly, you then have to wait a few minutes for the barium to make it through the stomach and to the upper GI tract. They do not sedate them, but be prepared for them to strap him to a board so he doesn't move too much. Then, it's just like an x-ray, except you can actually see the liquid moving through his GI tract on the screen. It doesn't hurt and he's young enough that he may actually go to sleep during it. I was allowed to be right there with him, so I would think you could too. My son was quite ill as an infant and needed this done several time to check for blockages in his intestines(he had NEC and severe reflux). Idk if this is the case for your son or not, but feel free to pm me if your son is going through something and you need to talk.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 8:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2008

• My daughter had an Uper GI in June. They give the Barium to your baby in a bottle as they are watching it go into her esaphagus and into her stomach.. they watch for gaging and reflux. Its not as scarey as it sounds. Hang in there
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 8:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2008

• My daugther just had this done last week. She is exclusively breastfed and actually gobbled up the barium! We couldnt believe it. They put a little sugar water in it so they drink it. It was actually not bad at all. She didnt even cry. You can be there and help hold her down so that she is not alone. Good luck
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2008

• Its not as bad as it sounds, just a drink then an xray of some sort, my daughter had it done but then had to have an endoscopy and a biopsy for the acid reflux, that they wont let you in with her, man I cried, and no they dont sedate babies either, but it was done in a matter of minutes and she was ok......just hang in there, reflux meds do help and they will eventually grow out of it, my daughter is now 3 and doing a whole lote better........it is always worse for us then it is for them, again hang in there, your baby will be ok...
    angeleyes31376

Answer by angeleyes31376 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2008