• In the Spotlight:

What's so bad about letting the kids have a TV in their room and giving them a spanking when they act up?

I see so many moms on here that are so anti-TV and anti-Spanking. My kids have both and are very smart, well adjusted, and happy children. I just don't understand what makes it sooooooo bad. Abuse is one thing spanking is another. A little TV is one thing and that being the only thing they ever do is another. There is such a thing as moderation and using things when appropriate. Why not make life easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well you know on this site full of b!tches you're damned if you do and damned if you don't because some moms are so damned perfect their crap doesn't even stink. That being said, my 15 yr old has a small t.v. in her room. She watches a lot of discovery health, history channel and tlc. But she also spends a lot of time with the t.v. off reading a book instead or downstairs talking with the rest of the family. My 11 yr old has a t.v. but no satellite hook up, she can watch dvd's on it. The 3 younger kids usually pop in a movie and play when they're up there, but most of the time they are downstairs with us. I share a room with my other 2 kids and have a small t.v. in there to watch the news quietly after they've gone to sleep. I watch it for only 20 min and then shut it off. On rare occasions they watch a cartoon or two in the afternoon when not in school. I've only spanked once or twice, but see nothing wrong with it.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• some moms just want to control everything thier kids and and want them to walk all over them when they get older
    Anonymous

• Anti-T.V.= Because I don't want my child sitting alone in there room 3 hours a day when they could be with family.Self isolation is not healthy-I also don't need my child to be trained to need to t.v. on to be lulled to sleep.That will only make things more difficult for them when they are older and may not have the luxury of a t.v. in their room
    anti-spanking=only to a degree. for the most part I can't think of a good reason that spanking would solve any problem.It is short term and quickly forgotten.A quick swat for something dangerous to get there attention is another.Like tonight I swatted my son in the hand as he was about to push his little sister down the stairs.I needed his attention right then!Once I had his attention there was no need for me to continue to swat at him. He was sent to his room to be alone if he couldn't play nice.It made since and a consequence that could be connected to the offense. That's just me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• FYI I also don't think t.. is bad in moderation but seriously why would I want to put a tv. in my child's room. at least if they have to come out of their room to watch something we can chat and play and visit with each other...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't spank my tot, but I'm not anti-television.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had a tv in my room when I was a kid, but not until I was 11---I also had a vcr.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My kids don't have a TV in their bedroom, but frankly, neither do I. We have a TV in our play room and one in the living room. I don't care if they watch it and I don't strictly limit the time they're on it. I just don't think I need to pay for the TV and the cable (because we get zilch reception without it) for three more TVs just because.

Spanking? We don't spank either. We have other means to discipline and it works for us. Are my kids saints? Ha. Hardly. They are good kids though and they respond to methods without a swat on the tush. It works for us.

That said, I don't really care what you or another family does. TO each their own. It's a personal choice. I'm not going to bash you for having TVs in every room but the bathroom (or maybe you do have them in the bathroom. . . who cares. LOL!) or spanking....but I also expect my choices not to do those things to be respected in kind.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Some people just don't get it at all.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Each child reacts/responds to things differently. Some kids can't have tv whenever they want it, because they get addicted, so it needs to be rationed. Other kids are fine with one being in the room and don't abuse it. My son watches about three hours a day of DVD's we have picked out. (I don't let the tv run on just anything.) He's happy and smart...tv hasn't ruined him, that's for sure...if anything, it has taught him a lot. (Knew his ABC's at 18 months, etc.)

Same with spanking. Some kids don't need it because they respond to time-outs, etc. Others need it because nothing will get their attention to shape up. I think spanking should be a last resort discipline when possible. I consider it another tool for parents to use to teach their children to behave.

Anonymous

• I don't see a need for a TV in their rooms. We have a living room and rec room with TVs. They can go watch it in there. I'm not paying for a cable reciever in any more rooms than I have too. As for spanking, I think it has its place in moderation
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009