What religion were you raised as? more ?'s inside

What religion were you raised as,if christian what denomination?
Are you still that religion?
If yes are you just following it because you were raised that way and do you know it is 100% true from your own studies or what you were told?
If no why did you change? What religion and denomination are you now? How do you know you are correct now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• was raised baptist )christian
    no longer live that way
    I changed when I shortly majored as a Religion Philosophy major in college. I now embrace certain parts of all religions and beliefs because when going back in history and tracking historical facts, not theories, just what is known to be facts, many of the religions have huge similarities.

And I have learned that there is no way to know who is correct, I just believe ini living my life the way I see fit with moral values of my upbringing and my own sense of what feels intuitivly correct.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was raised Christian/ Baptist as well. I still believe in Christianity, but not in the same way the church doctrines teach it. I believe in universal salvation and am open to the idea of reincarnation (but a little on the fence about it). Like pp said...Historical facts say that no one religion can be right.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What religion were you raised as?
    None. I was raised to be aware of many different religions. Kind of agnostic really.

Are you still that religion?
    Um. ...no.

why did you change?
    Because the beliefs i have happen to fit very well with the description of the term Pagan

What religion and denomination are you now?
    Pagan Eclectic Witch

How do you know you are correct now?
    Because there is no "correct". There is no "one size fits all" for religion. I do not believe that i am any more correct then the Christians. But i do believe that it is what is right for me, just as Jesus is right for them.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What religion were you raised as,if christian what denomination?
    I was raised in a Christian family. I remember going to a Congregational church and a Lutheran church, although half of my family is Catholic.

Are you still that religion?
    I'm an atheist.

I didn't change because I've always been an atheist. I didn't believe the stuff I was raised with. I imagine my Sunday school teachers dreaded dealing with me because of me constantly asking questions. Their bible stories just never added up. When I was going through confirmation classes, I told the minister that I didn't believe in a god, and I got kicked out. My mother just found another church to have me take the classes at. I'm 30 now and my family is still in denial. I know they wished I believed in the same stuff they do, but I just never have.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

non-denominational "we believe in god, but never went to church" type household

Are you still that religion?
    Nope

If no why did you change? I never could believe in God - no matter what I tried or who I talked to or what I studied... I just never bought it.

Nondenominational Buddhist

How do you know you are correct now?
    I know it's correct FOR ME because I've held Buddhist beliefs my entire life... I just didn't know it until adulthood.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was raised without religion and I'm an Atheist now.  That pretty much answers all your questions except the last one.  I don't know that I'm correct, no one does, but it is what I believe.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was raised a Luthern. Made my first communion and had to go to Cathechism(Spelling?!).
    I am no longer christian, I am Atheist now....always have been. Just never knew it was ok, and that what my beliefs were had a "name" other than being Christian.
    I was not taught to follow my heart, but rather TOLD to attend church and sunday school and never question it.
    What is right for me, is not right for another. And I am ok with that. This is my spiritual path to walk, and I walk it alone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Raised humanist/ atheist... still a secular pagan humanist atheist lol
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I wasn't raised as any religion. My mother is a secular Catholic, my father is an atheist. I was never forced to go to church, or read the bible, but I was never forbidden from it either. I went to church with several friends, and it just never made much sense to me. I guess I stuck with it, since I still have no religion. I am an atheist. I don't know that I am correct in my beliefs, but the evidence strongly supports them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i was raised Christian, Church of Christ to be specific. i'm still a Christian but far from the church i was raised in. i was taught it was all about going to church, following the non-Biblical rules (like no dancing), and that emotions had no place in religion. now i focus on my relationship w/ God & ignore the legalism that i was raised with.

i know that the way i believe now is true for me. ive asked myself the hard questions (does God really exist) and have come to figure out my own beliefs. i no longer piggyback off my parents beliefs like i did for so many years. its very freeing!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2009