My baby is holding his breath

My son is alittle over 2 months and the past 2 days he started holding his breath. This happened 3 times so far. I would be hodling him and He will be completely calm and fine and the next minute his body is stiff and his face is red and he's holding his breath. I rub his tummy and talk to him to revive him and then hes fine like nothing hapened. Does anybody know what this might be?! I have been trying to read up on this but I am finding no answers. I am going to call the doctors tommarow morning..but ne suggestions what this might be??

Christina5l

Asked by Christina5l at 8:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• has ur baby hit his head at all?
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No not at all! Tuesday he started it. He did it twice in one night. Was fine on wednsday. I mean his daddy accidently hit heads with him but it wasnt anything out of the norm. Then today (thursday) he held his breath agian. I don't understand he just does it. He doesn't cry or nothing. He will just be in my arms and then holds his breath.
    Christina5l

Answer by Christina5l at 8:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i would suggest u go to your pedi because holding his breath at this young of an age is a lil unsettling, it could jus be normal tho but jus to b sure bcause tht is also associated with iron deficency. but nothn tht cant b fixed
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I just red that it could be an iron deficency. I am breastfeeding and I am taking my pre-natals. I am going to call the peds tommarow beccause it is very frightening to see him do this.
    Christina5l

Answer by Christina5l at 8:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• well don't worry too much because i red that it could just be him being upset and him reacting the slowing or rising of his heart rate. so don't freak out too much. it happens normally to one out of twenty kids.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Maybe he is trying to poop...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Yeah, maybe he's pooping.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son is 4 months old and he holds his breath when something covers his eyes, like when I'm putting clothes on him. He also holds his breath when my hair brushes his face... But only for a few seconds. It's wierd but sometimes they do funny things. I would call his dr to make sure it is normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son was doing this same thing. Out of nowhere, his face would get red, arms would come up, body would stiffen, and he would stare off to the side and appear to be holding his breath. We first took him to the ER when we noticed this happening at 5 wks. They WRONGLY diagnosed and treated him for reflux. The info we read on the internet seemed to confirm the diagnosis. We noticed him having these episodes again at 2 mos. We treated it as reflux and followed all precautions for GERD. At 3 mos he started having these episodes VERY frequently. He started on a Saturday and by Sunday night he had done it over 60 times. We video taped him and took him to the Pediatrician first thing monday morning. The doctor took one look at the video and sent us to the ER. Turns out he was having partial (focal) seizures and was diagnosed with epilepsy! He is on med. now and is doing great and developing normally.
    KBMommy222

Answer by KBMommy222 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• ...trust your instincts when you notice your baby is "not acting right" and be persistant. If anyone is having similar episodes and would like to see video of our child doing this, please let me know. We would be happy to share them with you so you can compare. We know how difficult it is to find information on the internet and would hate to see other new parents having to go through the same thing.
    KBMommy222

Answer by KBMommy222 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009