H1n1, mercury, tuna

According to Health Canada there is less mercury in the h1n1 flu shot than in a can of tuna.
So I'm just curious if the moms who are against the shot because there is mercury eat tuna?
I've just seen that as alot of womens arguments.
I'm not trying to start anything. I still haven't decided if I'll be getting us the shot or not. Just honestly curious if you eat canned tuna haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's also in our drinking water.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• That statement is NOT TRUE there is 3 x as much in an H1N1 shot as in a can of tuna--see the FDA site
    2 there is a HUGE difference between injecting something into your flesh and eating it..... you take in about50% of what you ingest by your mouth and 100% of an injection
    Yes I eat tuna and NO I do not get flu shots because I think getting the flu is much better for you .. I do not believe that Mercury leads to any ill effects I do believe natural immunity is the way to go unless you have extenuating circumstances
    but to post a ? like that you should really know a bit more of what youre talking about
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I love canned tuna and am not getting the flu shot! Lol! I honestly hadn't thought a lot about it, but heard one woman's response. There is a big difference between ingesting food with contaminants that will be mostly filtered out by a digestive system that is designed to get rid of the bad stuff AND putting the mercury directly into your blood/body. The skin and are digestive systems do the best work at filtering out things that shouldn't be in our body. A shot bypasses both!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• OP here;
    Merln, I guess I have no reason to think Health Canada would lie. I mean they don't have any reason to.
    The only place I've heard things about mercury is people on the internet who talk like they're wearing tin foil hats.
    So I looked into it and that is the information I found.
    Anonymous

• I am so confused and scared I don't know what to do.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't do vaccines and I don't eat fish.
    There ya go.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't eat tuna. I'm a vegetarian. I did do the flu shot for my kids because I thought the lesser risk was to vaccinate.

As a possible explanation of why the FDA and Health Canada differ: the H1N1 shot being offered in Canada is different from the one being offered in the US. Canada is using an adjuvanted vaccine. The US is not. There are possible differing levels of mercury in the different formulations. It's impossible to compare Health Canada info to the US version of the vaccine and vice versa- the two countries have gone about creating their shots using different formulations. I'm Canadian, which is why I've done research on the Canadian version of the shot and know that it differs from the US formulation. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the info Freela!
    Anonymous

• First of all there has never been proof that the murcury in vaccines causes any kind of problem. There has however been well over 100 children who have died from H1N1 and not all of them had chronic problems like asthma. I will take the slim, slight, marginal, unproven "risk" of murcury over the proven and varified risk of the vaccine.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We eat fish
    - we've been vaccinated with everything,
    -I watched my husband properly clean up a mercury spill on our patio.
    -and I used to go fishing with mercury weights as a kid which I held with my bare hands.

We have yet to have any health issues associated with mercury poisoning.

thnx.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009