More fear mongering? Public option may cost you your life

MCCONNELL: Well, it doesn't make any difference frankly whether you opt-in or you opt-out, it's still a government plan. You know, Medicaid, the program for the poor now, states can opt-out of that, but none of them have. I think if you have any kind of government insurance program, you're going to be stuck with it and it will lead us in the direction of the European style, you know, sort of British-style, single payer, government run system. And those systems are known for delays, denial of care and, you know, if your particular malady doesn't fit the government regulation, you don't get the medication.

MILLER: Right.

MCCONNELL: And it may cost you your life. I mean, we don't want to go down that path.

Mitch McConnell, apparently he doesn;t know that Insurance and out current health care industry already costs some Americans their lives

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know why I'm bothering, but there's a commercial on, so we'll give it a shot. Please explain to me, step by step, your logical process in arriving at the conclusion that since we have deaths today, we will no longer have deaths if that bill passes. Is there some magic immortality juice included in there that Pelosi hasn't mentioned? Are doctors suddenly going to improve their skills by working harder for less money? Please, step by step, how did you get from point A to point B?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• step by step, your logical process in arriving at the conclusion that since we have deaths today, we will no longer have deaths if that bill passes.

Who said that? not me.... Where does he get his info that they don't die TODAy because of our health care? That's a lie. He is saying a public option could KILL YOU....Well, the current health care situation already DOES kill Americans and BANKRUPTS over a million a year

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• sweet-a-kins, you do know this is a dangerous place for moms who are social-programs sympathizers. right? I mean, like those guys said, we'll ALL die waiting in the long hospital lines. We'll have teeth like the British!

Why hasn't anyone fear mongered that? I'd become anti NHS if I thought my teeth would turn British.

Maybe you know something I don't: Why are some of the big pharma companies backing this bill? They have a history of treachery. Seems to me an exchange of wealth more than a plan to get us reasonably price health care or British teeth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Where does he get his info that they don't die TODAy because of our health care?

Maybe because statistically things like elder care and cancer treatment have lower survival rates in Europe than they do here, and that's the statement he's making - a public option opens the door to edge out private alternatives until eventually we are on a fully public system, like the ones they are trying desperately to phase out elsewhere in the world because they don't work and cost lives.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with NP. People will still CHOOSE not to buy insurance, people will still CHOOSE not to see the doctor and get proper medical care.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Why hasn't anyone fear mongered that? I'd become anti NHS if I thought my teeth would turn British.

bouncingThat is FUNNY!! Love it!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• statistics are easy to manipulate and it depends on where they come from. Here is an article that puts the US, Japan and France as some of the top ranking cancer surviving nations. France socializes everything.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20080716/cancer-survival-rates-vary-by-country

I've never heard anything from Europeans about them "trying desperately to phase out" their NHS. The EU residence I know LOVE NHS.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

The study suggests that many uninsured people (including children) put off getting care, and then die from things insured people don't. So, people are dying from lack of insurance, if 1 million are saved, is that enough?

Anonymous

• http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/healthcare/2002-05-22-insurance-deaths.htm
    WASHINGTON — More than 18,000 adults in the USA die each year because they are uninsured and can't get proper health care, researchers report in a landmark study released Tuesday.

The 193-page report, "Care Without Coverage: Too Little, Too Late," examines the plight of 30 million — one in seven — working-age Americans whose employers don't provide insurance and who don't qualify for government medical care.

About 10 million children lack insurance; elderly Americans are covered by Medicare.

http://cbs2chicago.com/health/cancer.uninsured.death.2.615193.html

Uninsured cancer patients are nearly twice as likely to die within five years as those with private coverage, according to the first national study of its kind and one that sheds light on troubling health care obstacles.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317630,00.html
    Anonymous