My 15 month son wont eat as much anymore...

He use to eat alot when he just turn one. He would have a big lunch and a big dinner, but now I cant get him to eat anything. All he wants to eat is fruit and hotdogs. I should be happy fruit is one of the choices but he wont eat it all. He has not gain any weight and he is really tall so he is looking slim. Should I be worry or happy that all he wants to eat is fruit 24/7.
Something else to add, I am 6 months pregnant and this may be another reason he is acting this way. Eating is just begainning.

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 8:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children go through many ups and downs in the amount they eat. With my so if he eats everything in sight then suddenly eats hardly anything he shoots up in height seemingly overnight. Also you are right about being pregnant may have something to do with it along with his age and wanting to have more control. Talk to his pediatrician and if he/she isn't worried about his growth its okay.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer him cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

• My son goes through this once every few months....he hasnt eaten more than two bites from dinner all week!! Its just a phase...I just make sure he gets a lot of water and I keep asking if he's hungry...
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 10:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My monster did this and it scared the life out of me at first (this is a boy who usually ates more than dad even at 15 months). What I did was offered a lot of dipping things. Hummus is a great idea and if you pair it with whole wheat pita bread it's a pretty awesome meal. Try to phase out the hot dogs. Just keep offering him things. Don't make it a struggle though. It's great that he loves fruit. With the dips, my son tends to just eat the dip and eventually eats the dipping thing (bread, veggies, chicken strips, whatever) when it's too soggy. If you can pack a lot of good stuff into the dip then you don't have to worry so much. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. They all seem to do that and then shoot up another inch. He's probably just adjusting to your pregnancy and his growing body again.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 10:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009