i have a 2 week old baby with a fever help!

she has had for the past 48 hours a fever of 99.2 that has bounced up to that and down to normal. but tonight i took it and its 99.4 is that considered a fever for her what can i do to help her all she wants to do is be on mommy and i dont know if thats the best for her or if my body temp will raise her temp.

please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the hospital- there are nurses on call that can tell you if this is fine or something to keep an eye on. They're working all night, and that's what they're there for.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i agree..call a hospital. My son never ran a temp till he was about 4 months. 2 wks is very small
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Go ahead and call. They can give you more information. My firstborn ran a fever that young. I think they won't do anything. They will wait until it gets much higher before having you bring him in. Babies bodies are still regulating and with a newborn doctors don't like to do a lot with medicine until necessary. So call, but relax. Your baby will probably be fine. My son was VERY sick with fever and congestion for over a month as a newborn and we just had to wait it out. I slept in a recliner, holding him, on his worst nights.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• CALL the DR! BABIES ARE NOT suppose to have temps! My dd did and had to be hospitalized for a severe UTI....it was dangerous. CALL!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• How did you take her temp?? If it was a rectal temp then it's not a fever... it's a normal temp.
    If you did it under her arm then I would do a rectal temp and see what it is... if it's over 100.5 you need to call the doctor... a fever in any baby under 3 months is a big deal and needs to be looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• it was taken rectally, my son never had a temp this young the first time he had a temp was like 6 months she is only 2 weeks thats why she has me on my toes
    Anonymous

• Then it's a normal rectal temp and it's not a fever. A rectal temp should be around 98.7-99.9
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Yes AmiJanell is right!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I would call if I were you. I was told if a rectal thermometer reads over 99 degrees in a baby under 2 months to call the doctor. Newborns should never have a fever.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with AmiJanell .. I was a nursing student for a while (lol, I've been a bunch of different students) and this was one of the first things we learned about.

Rectal temperatures read an entire degree warmer than other methods do.

That is a completely normal temperature.. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2009