How do I get medicine down my 6 year old?

At this point hiding it in his drink is not working, I've holding him down and making him take it and he just throws it up. Anyone have any ideas, tips, thought etc?

candiccane

Asked by candiccane at 8:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• What kind of medicine is it? Is it a have to medicine or just cold medicine?

Answer by louise2 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It is a have to medicine (tamiflu!)
    candiccane

Answer by candiccane at 8:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I have used the distraction technique before with sucess. Turn on a new show and start watching it together, talking about the neat fish (or whatever) have the meds ready...."wow, I like that dolphin, look how high he can jump, here baby, take this....wow, look at that blue fish..." etc......

It just gets their mind off of it and onto the show. If you can really get him into it and keep him going, the meds might just sneak in.

But if he is too sick and not interested in the tv, then it might not work, just a suggestion...its worked in the past with my son ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Bribery? Sometimes it is worth it. Is there a favorite drink like a little chocolate milk or even a small glass of soda he could wash down the medicine with? Or a little treat he could have after like a cookie or popsicle to get the taste out of his mouth? Maybe knowing something good will come right after would make the medicine go down with less struggle. Good luck, this is probably as hard on mama as on your son, huh?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son is on meds for agression issues with his autism. I crush the one pill and break the other capsule and mix it in a spoonful of applesauce, then he takes a sip of juice to wash it down. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What works GREAT for me is mixing it with chocolate syrup. Or you can mix it with jelly (i used to take aspirin smashed with jelly when i was younger. worked great!)
    What kind of drink are you giving him, and does he see you mix it in? You can't let him see you. If it is juice or plain milk, it may not work, but maybe chocolate milk or in yogurt, pudding, or jello. Even if you have to give it to him with something junkfood, at least he'll be taking it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Tami flu is not a have to medication. High blood pressuremedication, Diabetic medication,antibiotics, type stuff is a have to. If you can crush it up and put it in a drink or syrup.

Answer by louise2 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• At this point louise2, tamiflu is a must have. He has H1N1 and hx bronchospasms. His Dr prescribed it because she thinks he should have it. I am a nurse and wouldn't be fighting him if I didn't think he needed it.
    candiccane

Answer by candiccane at 2:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Bribe him. If you have to. Tell him if he takes his medicine. He can have his favorite food, drink, candy or cake. What ever it takes to get him to take it and not throw it back up.
    Have you taken away things like tv, games, music, toys, anything he really likes. To get him to take his meds.

Answer by louise2 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009