sick baby

I have an 8 month little girl that is sick for the first time. She has a head cold. Really bad runny nose and coughing from the drainage. She has no fever. I have been giving her saline drops and sucking snot out of her nose. I have a cool mist humidifer going in her room, keeping her hydrated and I gave her some tylenol because she just seems miserable. I called the doctor and they said to just keep doing what I am doing and if she gets a fever, to bring her in. Is there anything else I can do for her. Maybe I am just looking for support, I don't know. She just seems so miserable. It is sad. She is a thumbsucker at night time and the poor thing just can not suck on her thumb because she cannot breath that way.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 9:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aww! I am so sorry for you and her. It is never fun when they are sick for the first time. They get SO miserable! Just one tip - don't get to crazy with the snot sucker. I didn't realize it, but using it often can inflame their nostrils and just make it tougher to breath through the nose! Since I learned that I have cut back on my use of it! Will she sleep in bed with you? My oldest sleeps SO much better with us when he is sick. It works out great because we all get more sleep then if we were up with him every hour in his room. Hope you guys have a better night!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• no, we do not co-sleep and will never until she gets much much older and has a scary dream or something. Not because I am against it, it is just not safe with us. We are not (what I like to call) gentle sleepers. Thanks for the advice on the snot sucking, I will not do it as much tomorrow!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Ooo I can relate.. my son is 8 months old and I dread the first time he gets sick *knocks on wood* I am so paranoid I keep making SO take hand-sanitizer with him everywhere and threaten him with no yummy dinners if he brings home illnesses!! I kid. lol

He had a fever a few weeks ago but it was weird.. went up to 102.. gave him baby motrin and called the doc.. then it just randomly went away. He never acted sick or anything.

I think you could also try doing steam during the day.. like go in the bathroom and run the shower really hot with you both in the room together for like 10 minutes or til you feel like you're gonna die anyway.. it'll help her sinuses feel better :)

Other than that .. extra snuggling is all I can think of.

Poor baby and poor mama!! Hope she gets better soon.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009