Has anyone decided not to bring their kids out for Halloween due to the Swine flu scare?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 9:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• No.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• no, i don't believe in panicking over the flu, its comes every season... hand washing before we go out, hand sanitizer while were out and hand washing when we get home he'll be fine.... he goes to preschool trick or treating is no dirtier or more hazardous then going to school in my opinion.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I have thought about it, but I figure that I will save some candy that I'm giving out and when we get home, I will hide the candy my dd gets and let it sit for 3 days...or long enough for the virus to die. I'm not too worried about anything else.
    Anonymous

• I was told to let the candy sit untouched for 4 hours and the germs will die. Do not attempt to eat any of the candy before the 4 hours is up that could touch the outer wrapper upon leaving the package.

I don't know how true that is, but that's what I was told.
    Anonymous

• The virus can live for up to 72 hours on hard surfaces and 48-72 on soft surfaces.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Yes. :) Plus they want to stay home. I would not have gone with them if they had gone. All my family had the flu except me.
    Anonymous

• I take that back...this is from the CDC:
    How long can influenza virus remain viable on objects (such as books and doorknobs)?
    Studies have shown that influenza virus can survive on environmental surfaces and can infect a person for 2 to 8 hours after being deposited on the surface.

KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well we aren't taking ours out but for different reasons, and we have a substitute:
    1-He is only about 14 months and it would be too much walking for him
    2-We just had a huge snow storm
    3-Me and 2 friends planned a Halloween party for all the families with kids at church, and each kid is bringing a bag of candy. We are having chilie and pumpkin soup and desserts. They will all still get candy, but be warm and we know we don't have swine flu!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What and let them miss trick or treating, and the marvelous chance for me to get some gum drops???? Never. That's just freaking silly paranoid.
    Fable

Answer by Fable at 10:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• im not taking my son, however that's because he has swine flu and we have a 8 week old, he's still pretty young to understand (21mo) but were going to do some fun activites at home anyway!!
    mommy1180882509

Answer by mommy1180882509 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009