How did you start potty training your toddler? Need some ideas.

My daughter is now 22 months old and i would like to start potty training her, I've read so many different ways but not sure how to start. Any ideas? I just want to make if fun, she's hitting those terrible 2's soon and becoming very stubborn so i want to try something fun. So far haven't tried anything.

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • I started all my kids by putting them on the potty before bath time. I started them a lot earlier though. Once I got in the habit I also put them on before and after naps and bedtime. When I was ready to seriously start, we bought underwear and they wore that all day long. I put them on every 30 minutes and if they had an accident, just took them to the bathroom and told them they were supposed to do that in the toilet, not their underwear. Eventually they would go a little bit and realize what they were doing and finish in the toilet. None of mine are fully potty trained yet (nighttime and always remembering when they need to go). I now just take them all every two hours, roughly. (They are 3, 2, and 1).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We started by reading books about potty's. Then she wanted to try it. Then we let her pick out her own underwear and potty chair. It was fairly simple because she was leading us. The books were KEY.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I used my mother-in-laws method.

You stay at home for about 3 days. Let them run around bare-bummed, and give them lots to drink, then take them to the potty every 30-50 minutes...and if they start to go on the floor, rush 'em to the potty.

If they go, have the craziest celebration you can imagine (prizes are optional). If they don't that's fine. She did put her kids in diapers for naps and bed time.

If they're ready for training, things will start to click within those 3 days, and they'll initiate going by themselves.

If it doesn't work, just hang it for a month or two and try again.

I first tried when my girl was 22 months, it didn't work past showing her what the potty was for. I tried again at 26 months, and she's picking it up like a champ.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 15 1/2 months. She talked late, crawled late, and just took her first real steps yesterday, so that is late too. However, she took her sippy cup early (we started at 5 months and she had it down with no bottles at all by 8 months) and has mastered eating, stacking, building (with blocks or toys), and other developmentally difficult things at early stages. I'm thinking about getting a potty now since she is almost completely walking and see if putting her on it when I go and at her usual BM time in the morning before her first nap (same time she goes #2 almost daily) and see if she can't figure it out. If she doesn't take to it, I'll leave it alone for a few more months and try again.

I have read that if they can remove their own pants and diaper, and they poke down there when they pee and squat while popping, it's time to introduce it. Go slowly, don't push the issue with her, and see how it goes. Good luck!
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We just bought underwear. I started at 21 months. She was done right before she turned 2. She got potty stamps for going to the potty.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009