Putting ur toddler on time out!

My 22 month old daughter is becoming very stubborn she loves to hit and bite. I tell her not to, and to be nice but i second later she is doing it again. What methods have you used for this problem? and how can i help her understand that is not nice? Nothing seems to be working...tired of being bit.

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • If it makes you feel any better we just started putting our 13month old in time out. Believe it or not, it seems effective.........as much as anything can be with a toddler that age! LOL! It sure is better than "no" by itself...
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i've tried putting her in a corner facing the wall...but she won't stay.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• With my 2 year old, I tell her that is ouchy. And when ever she is hurt I repeat ouchy until she stops crying. That way she makes the connection. Now when she does hit her sister or other such mean things, she goes to time out for a 1 min. Then has to say sorry to me and her sister with a hug. After a few months she knows better and it is rare to have to send her.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ive put my daughter in time out since she was almost 2. when i first started, i would have to put her in the corner more than once to make the time (1 min per year) now, at 2 1/2 she will go to the corner, but she knows when she gets out to say sorry.
    also, shes started chewing on her fingers- and the corner didnt work, so i put vinegar on her hands. she doesnt like the smell. but it works when we are in public and there is no corners. threats work wonders lol
    Anonymous

• then you have to keep placing her back in the corner or in time out - nanny 911 or super nanny style over and over til THEY give up - I saw one episode where it took over 100 times -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We do time outs. We also tell him to use 'nice touches'. When she hits, tell her 'nice touches' and lightly rub the back of her hand and then have her do it to you. If she wants to keep hitting then put her in time out. It's more work, but just keep putting her back to the time out spot when she tries to get up. If you don't want to go that route, out her in the high chair or booster and face her toward the wall and do time out that way. Good luck.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 10:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If girl leaves the time-out chair, I just pick her up and put her back in.

I've never had to do it more than 5 times.

You might also want to figure out your method of warnings. Saying "uh oh," or counting to 3. My girl usually falls in line by the time I get to 2 now because she knows getting to 3 means time out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• WAIT hold up...I was just watching on Prime Time a few weeks ago that it is WAY too hard to keep your toddler in time out. If they get the jist its fine but continuously putting them in time out could take up to half hour to an hour. It doesn't work..its stressful for both of you. Just keep trying for ONE minute only. It should work if you keep trying.
    Anonymous

• time out is very effective ... And the first couple times theyll run out of the corner just grab him put him back in. After the third time don't say anything just set him back in it.
    lovemynutterbut

Answer by lovemynutterbut at 12:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i put my 2 year in time out.we started when he was 13 motnhs.we have been very persistant with it when he does hit or bite or thow momma phone(dont know why)he will go to time out.He has gotten to the point where he will actually put himself in ttime out so it is efective
    joesmomma1

Answer by joesmomma1 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009