My 2 year old is couging, sneezing, has a temperature around 100.4, woke up this morning and vomited and is having watery bowel movements. What could it be?

I'm taking him to urgent care tomorrow, he only vomited once this morning but since this afternoon, he's been having loose, watery bowel movements. What could it be? Could it be swine flu? And could my 3 month old get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably not the swine flu. I don't think stomach issues are part of that. Probably an intestinal flu bug.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My daughter had similar symptoms when she was 1, started vomiting, got a fever and had diahrea. Wasn't eating much either Make sure he/she does not become dehydrated. My daughter had a stomach flu, got hospitalized for almost a week because she would not eat/drink...and was dehydrated. Try (BRAT diet) to feed bananas, rice, apple, toast...and any fluids. I noticed apple juice made my daughter get diahrea. And of course contact a Dr.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Stomach issure ARE part of the swine flu. I'm sorry but this sounds like classic swine flu. Call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take him to the urgent care, its not the swine flu and going there's will only open him up to everyone else's illness with an already weakened immune system. Monitor the temp, 100.4 is not considered a fever, most dr's will tell you thats a low grade temp. Give cool baths and popsicles to help with the fever. Push fluids so as not to become dehydrated, DO NOT give juice it will dehydrate faster and cause diarrhea. Water is best if vomiting, or pedialite. The BRAT diet as suggested will also help with the loose stools. Call his pediatrician if your that concerned but avoid urgent care. Its really not necessary unless a Dr. says so
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• And annon just so you're aware vomiting is not a symptom of the swine flu. Go to the center for disease control website to verify but the swine flu is more respiratory and causes fevers greater then 103. It's causing symptoms such as sore throat, achy body, headaches, not vomiting. Those who get into serious trouble with the swine flu are because they develop pneumonia because of it, not vomiting or diarrhea.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Sounds like H1N1 to me...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• BA13YGIRL1987: you are the one that need to get more info... they say that vomiting and diarrhea can be a symptom of the swine flu
    Anonymous

• ba13ygrl1987.... you are wrong vomiting and diarrhea ARE a part of the symptoms some people get with the swine flu... take your own advise and read the symptoms on the CDC website!

fever *
    cough
    sore throat
    runny or stuffy nose
    body aches
    headache
    chills
    fatigue
    sometimes diarrhea and vomiting
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• SOMETIMES diarrhea and vomiting... its not common with the swine flu... its more respiratory, as I stated... a couple years ago it was the bird flu, now its the swine flu, people always panic is my point... kids can't just be sick now, it always has to be the swine flu. Go ahead, go to the urgent care and er and subject your kids to more illness. When they test negative for swine flu you'll be so happy you subjected them to all those diseases instead of the minor cold they probably have. Her son is sick, yes, but I promise you its not the swine flu. You don't have to agree with me, but if this lady made the same post this time last year NO ONE would have answered swine flu... and I bet next year you post the same thing NO ONE will answer swine flu
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my son had the same thing two days ago(he's 21mo) we brought him in right away and found out he has swine flu, they told us it last anywheres from 14-16 days. they gave us a med. he has to take and it only last 5 days!!! so i'd get him in asap! dont want put things off when their that little! hope all is well.
    mommy1180882509

Answer by mommy1180882509 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009