Do you know how they got the number of people who died "because they didn't have insurance"?

the namesofthedead.com is in memory of "more than 44,000 Americans [who] die simply because they have not health insurance."

How they got their number was a study of 9,000 people. Any of those who died within the 12 year study who initially reported that they did not have health insurance are listed as cause of death being "not having health insurance."

forget if they actually had health insurance at their time of death - or if they died instantly in a car crash - cause of death according to their website is "not having health insurance."

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/10/23/the-bogus-death-statistic-that-won’t-die/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No one is denying these cases do not occur. What they are saying is the statistical 'data' that came up with the 45,000 is FLAWED.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You believe everything you read, don't you? Grow up.
    Anonymous

• I can see how some of that can be in some states but makes me glad to love in Ga. If you need to bee seen the ER will see you...period. There are also clinincs where you can be seen for like $10. I have heard of some states that will let you die instead of treating you if you are not insured.
    Anonymous

• How can not having health insurance be deadly. My grandfather lived to be 90. He never had one dime of health insurance. It is ALL A CROCK OF BULL!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Michelle Malkin is your source? next
    Anonymous

• Well Malkin's source was:

The American Journal of Public Health Vol 99, No 12

You can look it up if you want...a quote directly from the journal reads:

"Our study has several limitations. NHANES III assessed health insurance at a single point in time and did not validate self-reported insurance status. We were unable to measure the effect of gaining or losing coverage after the interview."
    Anonymous

• Yes, and those who are not insured, who pays for their medical treatment? WE do.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• My brother died in a car accident. Every measure was taken to save his life. He did not have insurance. They worked on him like anyone else. As a nurse I knew he was gone and he had been down for 45 minutes. I told them it was OK to stop he was gone. He did not die because of a lack of healthcare. He still went to the doctor he died because of a car accident. I am not shocked by that if it is actually true.
    Anonymous

• All I can say is:

My statistics professor would have failed me for a study like that.
    Anonymous