what should i do, i am all red from breast feeding and i am cracking i have been using the ointment but now i am starting to bleed? is there anything else i can do?

xavismommy

Asked by xavismommy at 10:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ouch! So sorry you are having a rough time. Is your ointment lanolin? That is what it should be. Also, I have friends who would rub in some of their own breastmilk. That is supposed to help. Last of all, I would look up the La Leche League and contact them.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• this really thick lotion called Eucerin. I have dry sensitive skin and nothing seems to work like this stuff does. and trust me, i've tried everything.
    Anonymous

• try a nipple shield for a couple of feedings and give your nipple a chance to heal properly.
    Anonymous

• emu oil
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Go see a lactation consultant to make sure your latch is correct. My hospital had a free lactation consultant--call to see if yours does. Most times cracked bleeding nipples are due to improper latch.

Lanolin is good, and so is rubbing in expresed milk. The best thing for cracked nipples is fresh air! Go topless as much as possible.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• the hospital gave me sweet oil, it's just olive oil and it works great. get some nipple sheilds too, but the foam inside doesnt work that well so i just use a nursing pad inside the nipple sheild to absorb what i leak.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i agree with some of the previous mothers, my daughter was the same way (which was strange because her brother latched on perfectly from the get go). she had such a hard time latching on that my nipples cracked, bled, and was so sore i thought about stopping. but like other mothers have told me before KEEP TRYING have someone help you with your latch (if you have WIC they have people that can help you or you can call Gerber they help you too without member ship). but in the mean while keep trying because it's a learning experience for your baby too, they've never done it before now. make sure the lips are flared out and the bottom lip is out (found that out the hard way). everything is gonna be ok because you are doing whats best for baby God is with you.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Eucerin is not actually a good choice for this problem. Lansinoh.

And get the latch evaluated by a lactation consultant, because it sounds like it's bad.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with pp. The first week I just left my boobs out to air dry and it really helped a lot. Also the lanolin is great and it's safe to nurse afterwards.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I agree with some of the pp's also! Don't use Eucerin! Use lansinoh! Contact a lactation consultant to correct the latch! That was my problem! She also said I can use regular tea bags (warm) to put on the nipples for 10 min each time... it helped me! i also pumped exclusively for 2-3 days to give my nipples a "break." I would also let air get to them as much as possible! GL! I swear it won't be this way forever!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2009