How do you know if you are ready for marriage?

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years and I am not sure if I should talk to him about our next step in life. We also have 2 beautiful little girls. I have seen more bad marriages then good so I believe that nothing good comes out of saying I DO!
(please help me!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• I will be honest with you. IMO, if you are ready for children, you are ready for marriage. I know everyone doesn't feel that way. That being said, if you are ready to make a lifetime commitment and to do whatever it takes to make it stick, you are ready. Once in awhile, you may have second thoughts, especially if you are happy now. You will know when it is right and of course, your bf will need to be ready too. Since you are thinking about it, no harm in talking to him about it, right! Good luck with this important decision.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• well, i would 1st think about how you really feel about marriage. if you get married and your thinking it might be a waiste of time cause you only have a 50 percent chance of making it, then i'd say why get married.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 3:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Well, all marriage is is a piece of paper saying that your married. You can be just as commited in a realtionship as a married couple can. If you guys are happy where you are in life and happy with each other, then why do you have to go and spend tons of money on a marriage? I'm married, but if you really think about it, it is just a piece of paper. You can do rings and all of that.
    mommaq20

Answer by mommaq20 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

mommaq20

mommaq20

• You can never know if you're ready. Legally, marriage protects you and your two girl. As someone skeptical of marriage who took the plunge a year ago, it is different than just being in a relationship. The difference is that marriage forces you to make a legal (and sometimes spiritual) commitment, oftentimes in front of all the people youo know and love. You can't just get up and walk away without paying a hell of a lot of consequences after getting married. I had the same reservations, why get married when 60% end in divorce? Statistically, the odds aren't in a married couples' favor, however, it's important to realize that no one but you and your bf control your relationship. If you try to make it work, it will. It's not a mysterious thing, just treat him as best you can and try to rememeber that you are on each other's side. You can't know if you'll be together in 50 years just as you can't know any number of things about this life. It's just a risk, plain and simple.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I have been with my husband sixteen years and we have been married ten. I was thirteen when I met him. I can understand what you mean when you say the marriages around you are unhappy but it does not have to be. My husband is my best friend we have five children and I still get butterflies when he looks at me but we make time for each other it is work!!! but I know there is not another man for me... and I know I am the woman God created for him. I BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL my heart . Be friends first and you will make good decisions about each other .

Do not settle you deserve a good life and a commited relationship with someone who loves you.... will it take work yes but it is so worth it.
    simplegifts4u

Answer by simplegifts4u at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

simplegifts4u