a question about second hand smoke?

Okay I was just curious is it just the smoke thats bad for you? Or is it just as bad when someone has the smell on them? My Moms brings her boyfriend over and he wreaks of cigarettes. Im 32 weeks pregnant and it makes me so sick I have to leave the room. I was just wondering if smelling it on someone is the same as inhaling the actual smoke? cause lord knows they both make me ill

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• That is referred to as 3rd hand smoke and it's supposedly bad for you as well.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Really I had no idea. Thanks for telling me though cause it makes me angry that he smells up my house.
    Anonymous

• you could have an allergy to cig smoke and if so of course it will make you sick
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You are suppost to avoid ANY smell that makes you ill during your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• The smell means there is smoke in the clothes and that can be harmful too. Second hand smoke is actually worse than smoking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Cigarette smoke, secondhand, is still harmful because it contains all of the same particulate matter, and more, as the smoke that the smoker is inhaling. That stuff doesn't just dissipate into thin air, which is why smokers' homes and car interiors (if they smoke in there) are always covered with a thin film of dust. The particles, no matter how tiny, stick to the clothes, skin, and hair of the smoker and if you come into contact with them, it will be transferred to you. Is it enough to be harmful to you and your unborn child? Probably not, unless you have asthma or allergies, but the smell is enough to make anyone sick, pregnant or not. I smoked for over half of my life and didn't realize how absolutely disgusting smokers look and smell until I had quit for a while. I haven't smoked since. Yuck.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 1, 2009