can i give my 2 year old pedi sure?

my 2.5 year old is not eating lately, and my question is can i give him pedia sure? does it have all the nutrients that he needs? do i have to consult his pediatrician? can i give it everyday? im sorry for all the question but im a little concern on my son's health. and please dont try to make me feel bad because im not doing anything wrong!! thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes pedisure is ok for him. It has everything he needs to grow. it is lactose free and has a lot of cazlories which he needs since he aint eating. i wouldnt say anything to ur peditricain just yet. keep an eye on his weight though jsut in case he drops then it will become a concern. The reason i know that pedisure is ok to give all the time is my daughter was born three months early and the NICU doctors put her on pedisure to try and gian weight but it didnt work. Also not eating is just a stage he will out grow. my daughter is 2.5 (closer to three) and is weighing in at 20 pounds... we have issues with her weight and nothing seems to help. But yes he can have pedisure it wont hurt.... Go to the store look on the back of the package and it wil tell you all the vitamins and everything it has.... Try all oif the flavors but the one with extra fiber. it made my ddaughter throw up.
    andrea23060809

Answer by andrea23060809 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son has been really picky because his dad is away for work, so he is acting out by not eating. I bought the chocolate pedi sure stuff. He loves it he had like 2 yesterday and one today. I am not sure if they are "allowed" to have it.. I mean I don't see anything on the label saying they can't. The only thing I don't like about it is it changed his poop and he is more gassy.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I am sure you can. I would offer him food like you do already and if he hasn't eaten like you would like him to THEN offer him the pediasure. I would not replace his milk with it though. I guess I would treat it as a snack. My nefew (who is almost three) had to have it off and on because of weight gain ( he was a premie!) after he turned two because he just wasn't eating enough. And toddlers are fickle like that, some days he will eat, other days he won't! Go with the flow mama, and don't worry he won't starve himself, just keep offering and if he doesn't want it, put it away and offer again later! Good Luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• same thing with my daughter.. she is 2.5 and not eating much at all.
    i was looking into getting that for her.
    and now i think im going to give it a try...
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 10:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• As long as your baby is playing, growing, sleeping, peeing and pooping, and eating and drinking you don't have anything to worry about. Kids go through stages where they eat less simply because they need less. They eat a lot when they are learning a new physical skill or going through a growth spurt and need the extra calories then they slow down and don't eat as much. As long as they are not lethargic, sickly, or noticeably losing weight you shouldn't worry. Just make sure that the calories they do eat are nutritious.

Besides, pedia sure and the like have horrible ingredients. The first two ingredients are water and sugar! Then maltodexterin (a corn based artificial sweetener), safflower oil and soy oil. The drinks are less than 0.5% of the vitamins they claim are in them. FDA doesn't control this so you don't know what you're getting. It's much better just to feed them good foods!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son has a GJ-tube and eats nothing by mouth. The formula he takes all day everyday is Pediasure, 3/4ths strength. He has 3, 8 ounce bottles a day and boy is he large. He's a chunk and he is doing just fine on it. They can maintain weight and be healthy on just pediasure but if he isn't eating regularly you should keep an eye on him as far as the pooping and peeing stuff is involved. Make sure he's hydrated and overall healthy, if not involve the pediatrician!

lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes, you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If you want to save money since I know Pediasure is expensive (I know since I used to buy them), my pediatrician told me to put Carnation Breakfast Essentials in my dd milk. He said it's the exact same thing. It comes in different flavors too.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 3:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Just make sure you feed him other things along with it. My son's cousin barely got actual food when I was still with my son's father. She normally just got strawberry PediaSure in a sippy cup. It worried me.
    ATG499

Answer by ATG499 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2009