Engaged or what?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years. About a year ago he gave me a promise ring. But lately we have been talking about getting married. My dad made a point and said that you don't need a ring to be engaged. Being engaged is making a commitment. Well, last Saturday we went hiking and we were up on a rock and I said, you know how my dad was saying that stuff.....well can we make that official? (btw we have a long distance relationship. he was here for the weekend) So...he proposed to me :) Without a ring haha. Anyways...do you think this is wrong? or cheesy? or anything? He's happy we are engaged, but he feels bad that he didn't have a ring. He has planned on going all out for the proposal still.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Dont overanalyze! ENJOY! It goes by soooo fast! Before you know it, you will be walking down the aisle wondering where the time went!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I never had a ring and I was married 3 times! It's not about a piece of jewelry

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We are getting married 2011 btw...after he graduates. soo its a long time from now hmph :(
    Anonymous

• aww that's sweet. and that's what matters, that both of you agree and love each other. my hubby didn't have a ring for me either but how he asked was so sweet that it was no doubt in our minds that we were engaged. than when we were married he got the engagement ring and said that i deserve both rings even if it is a lil backwards. than our first anniversary he got me a wrap for the engagement ring. do what you want. i didn't even care about a stupid ring. love is love and like a pp said ENJOY IT! MUUUAH
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My hubby and i got married with out rings. The only thing that matters when you walk down that isle is that you two are happy and you love eachother. Congrats!
    Anonymous

• 2011 is not a long time from now, depending on where you want to be married and have your reception. Some places are booked years in advance. Most people say it takes at least 16 months to plan a wedding. It took me six weeks to have all the major planning done, and I had tons of time to relax between planning and the wedding. But then again, it was a small church in a small town and the local VFW hall for us. Not a larger church in a city with a hotel reception.
    Anonymous

• Oh and Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Didn't you say he gave you a promise ring?? Why can't you just use that as your engagement ring... He gave you a ring, just at a different time then when he proposed!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 12:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It is actually possible to get married altogether without a ring. One is not actually required for engagement, either...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You don't need a ring to be engaged, or even to be married for that fact. But from personal experience - my ex didn't get me an engagement ring and it got old not having one after a while. When I got married, everyone asked to "see the rings," ALL of my friends had ones, my kids got old enough to ask why I didn't, etc.
    To me, it's an important symbol of not only the commitment, but a sacrifice that your intended made to buy you a piece of jewelry that they had to save and scrimp for. I wouldn't have gotten married a 2nd time without an engagement ring, only because I wanted to be sure we were both on good financial footing before we stepped into marriage. If he couldn't afford a ring, then he wouldn't be able to comfortably support me and my kids. But that's just me.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2009