Homework time! This one could be ugly

I reallllllly don't think he's going to like my answer this week, but it's ok since I really didn't like his lecture stating that only theists are open minded. So your turn (same rules, no scripture, theistic textbook definition, trolls only make asses of themselves so don't bother, etc etc, this is NOT my actual homework for the idjit who keeps whining every week)
SO anyway:
Hume's argument against miracles (real miracles, where something violates natural law and must be of divine origin, not the common idea of a sick baby recovering must be a miracle) - there is so much evidence in favor of natural laws being true, to believe something happens for non-natural reasons from a divine source requires more evidence than can be provided (I'm paraphrasing, obviously).

So with that in mind - if we can't prove it's a miracle, can it be a miracle? If it can be one without proof, can we still CALL it one?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, don't believe in them. As it stands we are only grazing the surface of the natural laws that we encounter. So if something violates a known natural law, it may still be within the confines of a natural law we do not yet know about. While it may certainly seem like a miracle to some, it would raise questions for others and lead to further study and scientific findings, among those the natural law that was previously unknown.
    So no, I do not believe in miracles but I do believe there are somethings we do not have an answer for , yet!!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• call it luck
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i think to define miracle, it is something that is unexpected and unlikely, but none the less amazing-- nowadays, a cancer patients tumor disappearing without treatment in a matter of weeks (or days), or a blind person suddenly gaining sight.

when it comes down to God, he can't be proven or disproven per se.

so you could call something a miracle by definition, but if you must be scientifically involved, i suppose luck is a decent term.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• call it luck

That would include Lazarus, the resurrection, Lot's wife, Muhammad's ascension, and Pantanjali.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i think to define miracle, it is something that is unexpected and unlikely, but none the less amazing

That's the common idea I mentioned - it is not a miracle by the true definition of the word, it's just a common way people misuse the word. An actual miracle must be something that is not possible in nature, and done by divine intervention. Someone surviving a disease or regaining sight is not a violation of nature. It can be exceptionally rare, but it's not against nature. Someone coming back to life a few weeks after they die...THAT is against nature.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We can't prove that Jesus rose from the dead because we weren't there. That was the responsibility of the people who saw Him and told people about it.

I have seen miracles. One happened to me on Sunday in fact; but I can't scientifically prove it unless I had it on video. All you have is my word. That is why miracles are so hard.

I personally think that miracles are cool and they reinforce my faith in God. But I don't think a miracle should be someone's only basis for faith because people can fake them or lie about them.

I understand the need for skepticism, not calling something a miracle unless it can be verified. But I think personally we are able to share our stories and let people make up their own minds if they believe or not.

But on the other hand, just because you can't prove it is a miracle doesn't mean that it isn't one.

Cookie?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• *Scurries in.  Grabs cookie and runs limps back out again.*

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• *gets halfway down the description*
    *brain melts all over floor*
    Ooh! Pardon me, I was just leaving. *tiptoes out with with sticky pink brain goo sticking to her shoes*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Nice costume, Cait!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2009