WHY DO THEY KEEP STOPPING MY LABOR!!!???

I went into labor and delivery at 36 weeks and I was in early labor and they stopped it with a shot of something! Last night I went into labor and delivery (37 weeks) and they gave me ambien to stop it! Why the hell do they keep doing this!!?? IM READY TO DELIVER OBVIOUSLY!!! WHY DO THEY KEEP STOPPING IT!!!!???? The doctor was gonna induce me on the 12 if I havnt done anything by then! (My due date is November 16) So why keep stopping it!?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 11:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had all 3 of mine at 36 weeks and they were just fine and went home with me 2 days later. My youngest dd did try to come around 34 weeks and they stopped her from coming but even this time my doctor said as long as I get to 36 weeks then I can have him. Good luck !!
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i think they like you to be 38 wks..they just want to be sure the babys lungs are fully developed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Because the baby isn't fully developed yet. You want to take your lo home, right? If the lungs aren't developed the baby will stay in the NICU after you've been sent home.
    Anonymous

• at 37 weeks!!!!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Hmmm...the lungs are usually developed by 37 weeks, although sometimes not at 36. Did they check the lungs for maturity, or do they just want to wait until you are at a specific date? I guess they know what they're doing, but you should ask them directly so they can explain things to you and alleviate any confusion or fears you have. I know it's tough during that home stretch and you just want the kid OUT, but hang tough! I'm sure they have a motive and are not trying to torture you! lol
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Ambien will not stop you if you are in labor. It may let you sleep and relax, but if the ctx stopped you weren't in labor. Probably at 37 weeks if you had continued in true labor they wouldn't have stopped it.

Your due date isn't a magical exact date. They don't want to deliver a 36 weeker and have the baby really have a gestational age of 35 or 34 weeks. Every week longer is better for the baby.

Like I tell my patients "I promise, we won't let you stay pregnant forever." LOL
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• 36 weeks is pretty early. Usually they don't want you to deliver until at least 38 weeks unless there is something wrong and the baby needs to be out.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Trust me... if it was the real deal, they wouldn't be able to stop it. You have an irritable uterus. They are quieting it down so you won't be so miserable. You could go on for weeks contracting like that. They are being nice to you. Say thank you.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2009