Sleeping too much - not eating enough - at two weeks old???

My son is two weeks old. Usually he gets fussy and eats every 2-3 hours (breast). The first few days I even had to supplement because he was so hungry (hospital started supplementing - was not my initial idea). Today, however, he is sleeping 4-5 hours straight! I tried waking him for a feeding but he seemed uninterested and went back to sleep. He has eaten, but the feedings are very far apart (or seem to be from what I am used to). Is he sleeping too much - eating too little - for being only two weeks old??? Should I be concerned??? He is not running a fever - but I am worried (first time mom btw).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you still supplementing? If you are, knock it off. It'll only compromise your supply.

And, 2 weeks old is young to be sleeping for 4-5 hours .. unless it was at night.. some babies start sleeping at night for longer periods very young..

But if this was during the day?? NO.. I do not think that is normal at all, most newborns eat every 1-2 maybe 3 hours and spend more time than that awake during the day..

Maybe he has his days/nights being mixed up and you may be in for some very wakeful nights til that is corrected..

OR.. maybe he's not nursing enough and has low blood sugar. How many diapers are you changing per day?
    Offer the breast every hour and a half during the day tomorrow and don't take no for an answer. Tickle his toes, bright lights, put cold hands on him, -anything- to keep him awake to nurse.

OR.. he does not feel well and you still need to push the nursing.

Good luck dear.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Wait are you saying he just did this? Like you put him to bed around 7 or so and he's wanting to sleep more into the night?

That's normal, it's him trying to sleep more at night than during the day..

But I warn you.. heh.. he will probably wake up at 3-4 am and be like "WEE!!"
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Every 2-3 hours is too long apart for a tummy the size of a walnut to get enough to eat. Nurse far more frequently for health.

In the wild, babies nurse between 26 and 50 times a day, for an average of 6 minutes per side. Until you get to 50, it's not 'too much.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• How many babies do you know that live "in the wild?" I have 4 babies and all of them nursed approx 15-20 mins on each side every 3 hours. 3 hours is not too long for an infant to go between feedings, but 4-5 during the day is a little too long. As a pp commented, if he's doing it at night then it's a good thing and it's okay; if it's during the day, I would try to do everything I could to wake him to feed (change diaper, undress him/her, wet cloth on face, etc). every 3 hours.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• On one hand, nursing that many times in a day sounds like a lot (referencing Linda).. But if you consider the fact that my son slept -on my boob- in a recliner -overnight- for a while.. and he would spend an hour during the day sometimes nursing in just one session at first.. I don't think what Linda is saying is ridiculous at all.

And even when he was sleeping better when he was older he still woke up every 3 hours at night, he still wakes up once to nurse at 8 months old.. He STILL nurses every 2 hours or so, sometimes more often, during the daytime. I still nurse on demand because I would not want to compromise my supply and do not intend to wean til he is much older.

How is going today?? Is baby more wakeful?? Are you trying to put baby to the breast every 1 1/2 hours or MORE? Please don't listen to the every 3 hour lady. If your supply isn't well established that could cause issues.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2009