my 2yr old toddler throwing up during the night...

my son has been eating like usual... drinking milk as usual.. energetic and active like usual... nothing seems to be wrong.. he usually has his dinner about an hour or two prior to bed time, then takes milk before bed. he has been on this routine since i remember... and never had a problem but for the past month on and off he'll throw up at night. he'll be sleeping then he starts coughing..and eventually he'll throw up, sometimes alot ..sometimes not so much . i have been giving him plenty of water.. and has done nothing unusual... what can this be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be reflux, you should talk to your pediatrician about it but in the mean time try elevating his head and chest at night, not to much but a little. It could be something else too, though. Good luck.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Reflux is a good bet. I know this is a bit rare and unlikely, but I recently saw a Mystery Diagnosis where a child threw up every night just randomly and it was actually seizures. If he seems really out of it (not just tired, but unresponsive) drooling, etc. then that could be a concern.

My daughter has reflux though, and she does randomly throw up. I'd take him into the doc and see if they'll do an upper GI, that will show if it's reflux. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I saw that mystery diagnosis too and was thinking of it but couldn't remember the diagnosis! That's the problem with that show!! Good answer! My son has reflux too. When he is feeling under the weather it randomly makes him throw up. And they can develop reflux out of the blue typically from an illness, is what my son's GI doctor said.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• thank you * but do you think that he may be lactose intolerant?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Does he get dairy other times of the day without issue? If you're really concerned that may be it, just don't give him milk before bed for a week and see if he still throws up. But odds are if he is fine with dairy all day long and then throws up at night, it's not a lactose issue.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• thank you that deff. helped.. because a friend of mine said that might be a reason to the throwing up . but he only throws up during the night , not any other time he takes milk. I'm calling his pediatrician on sunday but before then i just wanted some advice. THANK YOU :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I agree it may be reflux. When you say its at night, is it after he lies down? That is even more indication it may be reflux, as lying flat makes the issue worse. My 28 month old has awful reflux. We stopped Zantac at 14 months but he recently started refluxing again, so we started Prevacid 9 days ago and he's doing great.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009