Do you think it would be bad for me to use some of the money saved from birthday, spare change, etc. in ds's piggy bank for xmas?

In addition, my son just turned 2, I counted his money the other day and he has nearly $50 from me just emptying out my wallet of change and $1 bills that I would have just ended up spending on a newspaper or candy bar and also money from his birthday cards that I saved for him. We are kinda tight on money this year and probably won't even be doing trick-r-treating because I can't afford to buy him a costume (not that he needs candy anyway), my car broke down and it is going to cost $2,500 to fix it if this $125 part doesn't work, but I don't want to struggle as much this year as I did last year for xmas presents for him.

WeezySueWong

Asked by WeezySueWong at 1:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope im doing the same,this year we were gonna buy him some things at the toyrus but he got gifcards there for his bday so i saved one and we are using them for xmas
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Your buying things for him. I don't see anything wrong with it at all!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It's his money and it's going toward him. It's fine.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• He is 2 buy one gift form santa and one from you and you will be good to go.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• He is two. Use it for him.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I strongly recommend not getting him any christmas presents this year if money is an issue. He's two, so he doesn't really know what's going on. Or just get him one small, less expensive gift. He'll be more into playing with you and daddy and ripping the paper off and playing in boxes. He won't care if he gets toys or clothing or anything like that. Spend time making christmas cookies and walking around looking at lights. And save the money he has for when you really need it. Maybe put it in a savings account with a high interest rate and if you need to use it for food or cothing, getting a working car, then use it for that. Just remember, Christmas isn't about gifts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think it is actually a great opportunity to show him that we only give 1 gift for x-mas. I think we all go overboard when we can on presents and it tends to make kids needy and WANT WANT all the time. I am very guilt of this and tend to buy my son things he does not need like or want too -we are starting a 1 gift x-mas & birthday - and really, he is only 2 but it would be a lot harder if he is showereed with gifts for the next 3-4 years and all of a sudden he gets 1 - just get him on the track now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2009