Gay male kindergarten teacher (Follow Up Question) Please don't make this a debate about whether or not gays are moral.

I was the one who asked the question about being comfortable with a gay male kindergarten teacher. I had gone to the school to get my child moved to another class and my request was denied and I was wondering what to do next.

However, today I got a phone call from the principal. Apparently the teacher has been made to feel uncomfortable by my statements and he feels that it is in everyone's best interest to remove my son from his class.

Earlier I would have been thrilled by this, but now I am worried I made a mistake. I cannot think of how to explain the reason for the change to my son. Even worse, the teacher I would have preferred my son to have has a full class. (Our school district caps kindergarten classes at 28 students.) The teacher my son is being moved to next week does not have a full class because some kids have been moved out. She is young, brand new, and fresh out of college. CONTINUED

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She does not have control of her class and a lot of people are unhappy with her. I feel like the school is punishing me for speaking out. At the same time, I am probably to blame for being pretty pushy. I got my way, but I am not happy about it now. Should I try to smooth it over and keep my son where he is? I know I cannot get a waver to send him to another school at this time and homeschool isn't an option.

I feel like I am being punished, but I also feel like I screwed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• you got what you asked for. you wouldnt have been happy if they kept him in the class. The teacher probably wanted your child moved so you would'nt go gossiping to all the other parents and spreading dirty rumors
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Reason # 1001 that I homeschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• His teacher isn't going to want him to stay, no matter what you say. Just suck it up and hope that the new teacher gets it together. You should have thought about the possibility of him ending up in a worse class before you spoke up.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• why does it really bother u that much that the teacher was gay? i say you got what u asked for. just cuz the guy was gay doesnt mean hes not a good teacher. have u ever seen any of the characters on disney channel? the wiggles? imagination movers? c'mon now.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I mean you got EXACTLY what you asked for, you had this wonderful teacher that your son loved and you complained because he doesn't fit this cookie cutter mold that you think people should be. I don't think the school is trying to punish you I think they are giving you what you asked for. Maybe this other teacher has the most room in her class to take other students. Maybe next time you'll think before you judge people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I don't think there's anything you can do. If you complain again the school may start to feel like you are one of those "problem parents". That there is nothing that they can do to accommodate you. which will likely make them more difficult to deal with.
    Too bad. you put yourself in this situation by being judgmental of an "issue" that does not have anything to do with the mans job.

As far as what to tell your son. ...tell him the truth (more or less). You don't need to tell him about the teacher being gay or anything. Just tell him that sometimes people don't get a long and you and his teacher were finding it hard to be friends. Or something along those lines.

Whatever you decide to do, i wish you the best of luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The grass isn't always greener on the other side. When will people learn this simple rule of life. For the teachers sake I think you need to let the school do what they think is best, you have already called out a teacher and made them feel ill at ease. I would let it go and stop wasting the schools time.

You feel like your being punished? imagine how the teacher and his co-workers feel.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You SOOOOOO got what you deserved... to bad for your son! Don't come whining to us about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What does his sexual orientation have to do with his teaching abilities? You pulled your son out of his class because of NOTHING the teacher did, but your own personal basis. How is the school "punishing" you, the cap is a school thing, not a punishment for you. I wouldn't think he was any less likely then any other teacher to discuss his private sexual life (i would have a problem with that regardless of it was a male/female, gay/straight/bisexual, as it is unprofessional). You can't have everything you want your way. Personally, I think it's a kind of "oh well" thing, you got what you wanted, too late to change your mind now, and you did it in a very rude and discriminatory way (just think how the teacher feels now), not to mention what YOU are teaching your son.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 2:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2009