help trying to get rid of the baby bottle

my son is 14 months now and we are trying to get my son to take the sippy cup i tried putting milk in it and water in the bottle i tried taking it away slowly and i tried taking it away all together but he will not drink out of anything elce but his bottle and he will only drink milk when we took it away all together he didnt drink anything for 2 days before that he was only drink a bottle in the morning and thats all he would drink

jeneye4

Asked by jeneye4 at 2:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my first child we took it away from her as soon as she turned 1. Threw it away.

With my second, and knowing he was our last because we don't want any more kids and he is the baby, I let him have it until he was about 2. One of my very good friends stole it in her purse, and that was that.

The moral of the story is, don't have them in your house as an option to feed. (But I don't really think they should be taken away at 1................let your baby be a baby, it will only be a moment in time before they are a teen!)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I had this problem with my daughter when she was under a year old. You have to be consistent and let him throw fits and whatever else he might do when you won't let him have the bottle. If he refuses to drink anything, try giving him Pedia-Lite, or something like it, or change his diet a little to make sure that he is eating foods that have a lot of water. There's nothing that says that a day or two without something to drink will hurt him, as long as the fluids are being replaced in some other way.

You can also try giving him only a sippy cup during the day, no matter what he does, and give him the bottle at night, but do not let him fall asleep with it. This worked with my daughter, my nephew, and my niece. I hope this helps.
    Kate53188

Answer by Kate53188 at 2:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my son was 14 motnhs when we got him off the bottle.
    what i did (and i was hard)was after he was done with his milk in the bottle at night i would tell him"ok all done momma gonna tak it to the kitchen now"and lay him down kiss him goodnight and walk out he would cry and scream for about 2 hours and then go to sleep.we did that about 3 days.during the day we gave him a sippycup and hid his bottle.wenever gave in to him wanted a bottle.its hard.
    joesmomma1

Answer by joesmomma1 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What kind of sippy cup is it? My dd hated the one w/ the hard top. She did like the one with the rubber tip.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 3:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Talk to your dr. We took our FS off the bottle at 21 (not 12,.... 21) months, he was completely weaned for 3 weeks, however he would NOT take milk in any shape, form, or fashion out of dozens of sippy cups. We've go them ALL. Our next dr visit, just happened to mention that he was off the bottle, but he hadn't had milk in 3 weeks, no big deal. Well, it was a big deal to the dr. and he told me that if he'd only take it in a bottle, then I needed to put it in the bottle at least until he was 2 y/o. He needs the milk fat for brain development. So after 3 weeks w/o a bottle, we went back to it. Others may say that as long as he eats cheese or yogurt....but he'd have to eat very large amonts EVERY DAY to equal what he's losing in the milk. Talk to your dr, maybe he'll have more tips. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• IT TAKES TIME BUT WHEN THEY R READY THEY WILL GIVE IT UP MY 29 MONTH OLD NEVER USED A SIPPY CUP I STARTED USING STRAWS IN ALL MY DRINKS AND SHE WANTED TO BE LIKE MOMMY. TRY THIS. HOPE IT HELPS! AS FAR AS BED TIME AND GETTING RID OF BOTTLE WE GAVE HER A SNACK WITH A CUP OF MILK(WITH STRAW). FIRST COUPLE NIGHTS SHE CRIED FOR AWHILE BUT SHE DID OK AFTER THAT. ALSO TOOK NIGHT TIME BOTTLE AWAY FIRST THEN WORKED ON TAKING NAP TIME BOTTLE LATER. (SHE STILL GOT NAP TIME BOTTLE TILL SHE WAS ABOUT 18 MONTHS)
    thedemofamily

Answer by thedemofamily at 11:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• we started weaning my son at 15 months, started with not giving it to him at naptime, he would cry and beg for baba, it was hard. I would offer him water and just never said the word baba again. EVER - still haven't and its been 7 months now lol!! then after a week of not giving it to him at naps, I started on bedtime - that took another week and still some hard times til he was about 16 months. He didn't drink milk for a good 3 months out of a sippy cup or regualr cup or anything, he slowly started eating it with cereal then we would just keep offering it to him and not make a huge deal if he didn't drink it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I threw away all the nipples to the bottles. I gave her a sippy cup and helped her drink from my cup.

If you don't have bottles in the house you're forced to deal with a kid who still wants one. It's tough, but it works.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• BTW, mine was off the bottle by 1 and she adjusted well. Give your kids the benefit of the doubt. They may deal with it better than you think. And even if they freak, they're kids, they'll forget about it in a few days and deal with a sippy cup.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2009