Fellow Wiccans/Pagans...question about Samhain

What are the things that I HAVE to have to celebrate Samhain? I haven't been able to get everything I need to practice but am wanting to celebrate. So what do I have to have?

Also, what is the basic ritual to celebrate Samhain? I have seen so many different ways to celebrate that I confused. I am wanting to a basic ritual.

TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 2:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Completely uncalled for. But some people have nothing better to do than judge others. May the Goddess bless you with enlightment and manners. Blessed be.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• There really isn't any "right" way to do it. You're in my group Pagan Moms New to the Craft, aren't you? I have a post in there somewhere about my plans for Samhain, if you want to look over it and see if it gives you ideas. The general idea behind celebrating Samhain is honoring your ancestors/deceased loved ones, etc. It's also a great time for divination and spirit communication. There's literally probably 1,000s of things you could do to celebrate. As far as what you HAVE to have to do anything related to religion, all you need is yourself. For rituals, the same is true. I've done rituals with nothing but myself before. That's where creative visualization is handy lol. I know it's hard to get past, but at some point you'll find that you have to stop trying to rely on others to give you information and you'll figure out ways for you to celebrate the Sabbats and Esbats that are individualized for you.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• CONTINUED:

That's not to say, however, that having someone help you with your first ritual (or first several) is a bad thing. You have to start somewhere. But, at some point, there will come a time when you begin to figure out what you like and dislike about certain things, how YOU feel a Sabbat should be celebrated, etc. If you still want some help coming up with ideas, PM me and I'll help you out anyway I can.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• go to hell

I bet that wasn't a christian who wrote that and probably somebody else just trying to start stuff and if it was a christian seriously do you think it is okay to tell people go to hell rather than if you keep walking the path that you are you will go to hell
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• As a Wiccan who used to celebrate with an entire Temple, ritual and all, I know that there is a lot that seems necessary to celebrate the greater sabbats. However, in the years since I've left that temple, I've discovered that all I need is me. "That which you cannot find within, you will never find without" and all that.
    For Samhain I generally do a basic blessing of my loved ones who have passed, as well as all of the people who have passed on over the prior year. In addition to that, in the evening I leave out the favorite foods of my passed loved ones, and in the morning I bury the remains in the westernmost corner of my yard.
    Additionally, I find that practicing the Great Rite (either symbolically or actually with my Hubby) is a great way to reaffirm the joys of life in a day that is so heavily focused on death.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 3:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The only thing you need to do is remember loved ones that have passed on. You can leave tokens that remind you of them and pictures if you have any. I too make a supper and set a place for them and set out the remains in the morning in our yard. You can make it elaborate or as simple as you like. As long as you are remembering and honoring those who have passed over its all good.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• To the Anonymous. who are you to tell them to go to hell. just because they are not the same religion as you? Do you have any idea about wiccan beliefs? Dont worry about anyone else worry about yourself.
    Laurecey

Answer by Laurecey at 5:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am the sole practioner in this family, so I don't do a large ritual, all I do is meditate in prayer to the Goddess and enjoy the day with my family.
    As for the anon.... May the Goddess bless you with better internet manners...

Blessed Be
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What do you NEED? Nothing. You can easily do a basic ritual without any tools. However I am assuming you are asking about how to do a more complete ritual or you wouldn't be asking.
    Here is an example ritual: http://paganspath.com/magik/wicca/samhain.htm

For this one you need: 2 ritual plus 4 elemental candles, besom (broom), silver/brass or other tray or plate & drinking cup, bell, cakes & drink, incents for a gift to the Goddess, something you can sit on for meditation - you can add to or take from this example. But it's a good start

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Thank you for the responses. I figured there really wasn't anything I needed. To Mrs. Bat-yes I am in your group and I actually responded to your ideas. I have to write my letters. But a part of me is worried about a letter to my dad because you never when you might get an answer. So I have to decide if I really want the answer. I do play to visit his and my grandparents grave site Sunday. I know that is just a place for their bodies, but the last time I was there, Daddy's "presence" was still strong.

Again thank you so much.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2009