my dog and fleas... Did I do enough?

i wasn't raised with dogs that were taken care of, so this is new to me: My dog has been very itchy, I thought it was dry skin, but my daughter said tonight that she saw "little black bugs all over his belly". I freaked. I went to a 24 hr store and got Hartz Ultra Guard Plus shampoo and drops. I shampooed him, scrubbed, massaged, itched him for over 10 minutes. Sure enough, the tub was full of fleas and the shampoo foam turned a bit pink. after the bath, I dried him, sprayed Skin So Soft all over him and then did the drop thing in a line down his back. Then I fed him a concoction of dog food, olive oil and garlic. I threw my daughter's sheets away and bleached the towels I used. I'm assuming those oily drops will rub off somewhat in/around his favorite places and kill fleas & larva there too - the box said for 30 days...

Did I do enough? For my dog and my home?

MichiMomma

Asked by MichiMomma at 3:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Pets

• We recently fought (and won!) the war on fleas. We started out shampooing both dogs with Dawn dish detergent (better on their skin than the flea shampoo, and highly effective) and giving them the flea drops from the store. We vacuumed the whole house, and kept vacuuming the areas they were most of the day, being sure to dump the bag outside. We also bought some spray to mist the areas where they spent the most time (kennel, couch in the bedroom). After all this, we still had some stubborn fleas!

We finally had to bomb the house. We gave each dog a Capstar pill (it kills all fleas on their bodies within 30 minutes), then applied Advantix while the house was bombed. That combo did the trick, and we haven't seen a flea since :) Frontline/Advantix are pricier, but a lot more effective!

Good luck, those little bastards are stubborn but you can win!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Did you comb through his coat with a flea comb? I would to make sure they're all out. Did you get anything for your carpet? You might want to get one of those powders that you put on the carpet and then vacuum, especially since he had a lot. If you don't have any I'd still vacuum really well right now. I wouldn't do anymore treatments unless they are natural remedies because you can overdose a dog on flea meds. How old is he?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• He's about 18 months old, miniature pincher. I only did topical treatments, except for the garlic, which I'm a little worried about now after reading online that it's toxicity is debatable. I didn't comb him with a flea comb, just a regular comb, but he has very short hair. He really only has two places he hangs out: underneath the ottoman and in my daughter's bed. I vacuumed under the ottoman and sprayed rubbing alcohol on the carpet under it. Should I get a new mattress for my daughter?
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 3:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If you don't have a flea come just pinch his skin between your fingers and roll it so you can see the skin, just do that in a few places to make sure they're all gone! I wouldn't worry about the mattress.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Get something for your carpet and furniture. Get a spray that will sit on it for a few minutes. and then vacuum, vacuum , vacuum!

We had a very hard time with fleas last summer and carpet was a big factor in it. Flea eggs can lay dormant for 2 years until conditions are right for them to hatch. They like hot and humid weather!

Good Luck.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• get flea powder...dust your carpets, the dogs sleeping are etc...vacuum it up. That will help immensely. Worse case scenario...bomb! The fleas are awful this year.

dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• After you vacuum, make sure youthrow away the vacuum bag for any eggs will hatch in the bag and then you will still have the fleas. We used flea bombs (make sure all animals are out of the house when you do it). Flea bombs are for infestations. We have three dogs so we had to. Good luck and keep up on it. Make sure you use the advantage every month or as directed by the instructions.
    ocalasinger

Answer by ocalasinger at 7:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You dont need a new mattress for her bed, but you should vacuum every day for like a week and throw your bag away, or empty it outside. A good way to see if they are in your carpet is to wear white socks and shuffle your feet accross the floor and then look at them to see if they are on there. and they bite humans around the ankles so if they get you or your daughter the ankle and foot is where you will be itching. My sisters dog had them and my neice brought them to my house once and i just did the flea treatment and vacuumed and washed everything in the house and spayed the couch with a spray for about a week and everything was good, never had them again...knock on wood! Good luck i think you did enough though! Maybe wash your dog for a couple days too. if the water turns pink that mean he has bite marks on him.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• To be completely honest.....the BEST thing you can do is go to PetSmart, or your local vet & get the Advantix, or Frontline from a vet. That stuff you bought at the super market never works well at all. It just makes their coat greasy. That frontline/advantix actually works like a charm. You don't even need to apply it once a month, they will tell you that you do....but if you apply it every other month, you will save money & find that it works just as well. That stuff you used never kills ALL the eggs & fleas. They will come back.

If you really want to save yourself time, money & worry, just go to the vet. You don't even need an appointment. You just fill out a form w/ your dogs info & they will sell you the frontline or advatix. Best way to permanently lose the fleas.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I also would recommend the flea drops from the vet. Since you already used the Hartz stuff (which is not good for many different reasons), you probably won't be able to use anything else for another 30 days. But ask your vet about it anyway, and then get something from them so you can have it ready for when the month is up. It's about $60 for 6 tubes, but I think you can buy them individually too.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 10:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2009