Is an MBA worth the time and money?

We are currently stationed in Hawaii and have a new baby in the house. Because of this, I prefer to be a SAHM for the next few years . The only problem is that I feel like I would be wasting my time, professionally. During this time at home, it would be convenient for me to work on my Masters Degree. There are online MBA programs that would be great for me, such as Univ of Phoenix and Columbia Southern Univ. The research and reviews that I am finding online conclude that these aren't reputable schools and would be a waste of my time. Is that so? Is a masters degree from a tier 3 school just as bad as no degree at all? Is it even worth my time and money?

Carrielou13

Asked by Carrielou13 at 4:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• An MBA from a for-profit school (like U of P) is worthless. Most companies won't look at a resume with a degree from a for-profit school (I have several years of HR experience). There are non-profit schools that have on-line components, but a brick & mortar program will give you the best education.

Depending on your bachelor's degree and your experience, a degree from a state university will serve you well.

How you spend your time while you are out of the workforce may have a larger role in your next step than an MBA. If you keep a hand in the action via a volunteer role, a bit of consulting, or a part-time job, you're in a better spot re-entry-wise than if you take your professional hat off entirely. Best of luck with your decision

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Many schools now offer online or executive mba programs where you can study from home. Maybe look ito those if you are concerned about reputation. Also, what is your degree in? Sometimes the MBA is a waste of time becuase it doesn't really help your degree or career path.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My husband finished his Masters in Logistics at Michigan. His company paid for it and he got a raise it nearly doubled his salary. It was not easy he had to work full time and be gone a few months for part of the program since we lived in California. It was worth it to my family. He is making 240k and never would have advanced as far as he did had he not gotten his Masters.

I would not go to University of Phoenix or schools like it. My husbands company won't even look at resumes from people who graduated there. Look at the State schools they will be less expensive and many have online programs.
    Anonymous

• My Bachelors degree is in advertising and marketing. My experience is in advertising sales and some media buying experience with an advertising agency. They have MBA programs that specialize in Marketing, so I assume that those programs would be benefitial, right?
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Avoid University of Phoenix! An MBA may or may not be worth the cost, but it is better than doing nothing! University of Hawaii is ok - I would go down and talk to them and see what they can do for you, or check with the school where you went for undergrad. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2009