What parents should do if they discover that their children were vaccinated without their permission?

"Over the next two weeks, a form is going home to parents of every elementary public school student in New York City. If parents sign, their children can get vaccinated for the swine flu for free in school. It comes in both shot and nasal spray form, and the medical expert on site will decide which is more appropriate for each child.

Children under 9 will need two doses, which will be given four weeks apart."
wcbstv.com

cont....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would be ticked off! I would call my lawyer and file a suit. They have no right to do that without consent! They already sent forms home with my son and I said NO! I don't agree with the H1N1 vacciene but even if I did he would get it at his doctors office, the ONLY place we get shots!

mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 7:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• cont...

2 NYC Students Get Swine Flu Vaccine Without Consent Form

Updated: Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 11:57 PM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 29 Oct 2009, 7:11 PM EDT

*

MYFOX NEW YORK STAFF
    MYFOXNY.COM

MYFOXNY.COM - Two elementary school students have been given the H1N1 swine influenza vaccine without proper parental consent, according to New York City officials.

In a joint statement from the Health and Education departments, officials said that 1,800 schoolchildren have been vaccinated this week, and that one student at a school on Brooklyn and another on Staten Island didn't have permission from their parents.

The children did not suffer any bad affects, said Erin Brady of the Health Department, "but we are working to determine how this misstep occurred, and we will develop additional safeguards to prevent similar instances in the future."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• cont....
    The two schools were P.S. 335 at 130 Rochester Avenue in Brooklyn and P.S. 65 (the Academy of Innovative Learning) at 98 Grant Street on Staten Island.

Nurses are required to confirm parental consent and review each child's health screening information before administering the vaccine.

Earlier this week, Health Department officials said that fewer than half of school parents have returned signed consent forms, indicating either a lack of proper information or concern about the vaccine's safety.

Weekend vaccine clinics for middle-school and high-school students will be held in each borough during November and December, officials said.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/health/swine_flu/091029-Students-Swine-Flu-Vaccine-No-Consent
    Anonymous

• cont...

"If your child has a history of allergy to egg, they may be at risk for a severe reaction," said Dr. Clifford Bassett, Director of Allergy and Asthma care.

The vaccine, like others, has egg protein in it, which means they're likely off the list. For others, the consent form must be signed to get the shot.

Dr. Jane Zucker is Assistant Commissioner with the Department of Health and said this new vaccine is just as safe as the one we're all use to.

"This H1N1 vaccine is made exactly the same way as the seasonal flu is. It's undergone all the same rigorous safety testing that any vaccine does before it's released," she said.
    wcbstv.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i dont think schools should give vaxes at all ever, we do too much to handle aready. schools should just educate... the expectations for free meals, transportation, medical care, counsiling, etc are too much to handle already and i am not suprised there was a mistake. i wouldnt sue the school... if my doc did it i Would sue them.... i would want the school to create an action plan to be sure it would never happen again...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• OK...so if the nurses have to make sure the parents is ok with it how is t his an issue? Calm down people, geez.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I'd be beyond angry. I don't want my kids to get the vaccine so we won't be. I also thing that some kids have a hard time getting shots, they are scared.....I've always taken my kids to get shots. I would hate to think of them getting one without me there!!!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• if i had a child that was going to school, i would choose not to vaccinate. That is something his doctor should be doing not the school and i would want to be with my child when they receive any and all shots. I would pull my child out of school on the day that they were giving shots to make sure he was not given one by accident.
    Mom2Joseph2007

Answer by Mom2Joseph2007 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Honestly, I would kick some ass! I'm not joking - I feel very strongly about my child not getting the H1N1 shot. Then, I would start at the school board and make sure someone is held responsible for it - not a witch hunt, but to help assure it doesn't happen to anyone else's child.
    momofroni

Answer by momofroni at 9:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• oh yeah, sue sue sue, when it comes to medicine everyone wants to sue. you hit the lottery, woohoo.
    if it were me, a not panicking, not insane, not money seeking individual......i would make an appointment with whoever i needed to, to find out how it happened and what could be done to make sure it doesn't happen again. and that's it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2009