Are ceiling fans "out" for kitchen lighting?

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 7:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• There are much nicer ceiling fans available now then there were ten years ago. If you really want a ceiling fan, for pete's sake, get one, but note: cleaning cooking grease/household dust mixture off of fan blades is NOT fun.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I put one in my kitchen. It's black and stainless steel and I love it. The only thing I would caution about is that I got a very powerful one and if I have it on too high while I'm cooking it tends to cool off the surface of things that are supposed to be simmering. But I wouldn't trade my fan for anything! It's made by a company called Casa Blanca and it is really a great fan.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• When we moved into our house, the 2 lighting fixtures were unattractive, old fashioned ceiling fans. They looked terrible, and were filthy too. We replaced them, but used a contemporary light on one of the fixtures, and an ultra-modern ceiling fan on the fixture further away from the stove (considering the grease that the PP mentioned). It looks terrific, provides a good air flow in the kitchen, and because we put the fan away from the cooking area, we've never had a problem with it getting dirty (just a little dust like all the other fans).
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have a small kitchen and I have a Monte Carlo fan. I love the design of it and for a little fan it is very quiet and powerful.
    mammafox

Answer by mammafox at 7:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Ceiling fans lower the temperature an average of 7 degrees, and use a fraction of the electricity used by air conditioners. Saving energy is always in.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have one in mine.
    MissG9

Answer by MissG9 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We have one in our kitchen and I have come to hate it because it is such a PITA to keep clean, so now we're thinking about replacing it with a regular light fixture.

If you do decide to get one, make sure the blades are washable, avoiding materials & intricate designs that will hold onto the dirt & grease. Also make sure the blades will clear your cabinet doors when they're open, otherwise you risk opening a cabinet while the fan is running and causing a serious accident. If you can, hang the fan on the other side of the room from your stove to avoid creating a draft while you are cooking, which can make your stove have to work harder to keep the temperature up.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have a few ceiling fans through out my home. I love them.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No way! They are wonderful. We've put them all over our house and it looks great now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Luckily the previous owner installed some very nice Hunter fans throughout the house. We have one in the kithen and it really helps when things start to heat up .
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 7:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2009