Ok so i woke up last night at 2:30am with a terrible sore throat, runny nose, cough and headache. I got my seasonal flu shot about a week ago so im guessing its not the flu! The question is i have a 4 month old daughter who i am with 24-7. How do i not give her what i have??? I'm so nervous shes going to get sick!

faithm127

Asked by faithm127 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Health

• by the time a person shows symptoms of something you've already been contagious to others. that's why handwashing is so important. so its possible she will get sick too. sorry. hope she doesn't. I know how hard it is to be sick & take care of sick kids too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• it takes about 10 days for the flu shot to be affective so you may have the flu.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• For your baby, just keep breastfeeding her; this will keep her immune system strong.

For your sore throat and cough, make a syrup with equal parts honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory).

Get some elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? If you are she should be o.k. because she will get your anti-bodies for it. If not I would call her pediatrician today. Get lots of rest, eat tons of antioxidants like cooked mushrooms, vitamin C, lots of water. Feel better. I have a good recipe for Chicken Soup on my page that helped my family feel better for at least a few hours when we were sick. Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen made us feel the best though :(

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2009