Ok so i woke up last night at 2:30am with a terrible sore throat, runny nose, cough and headache. I got my seasonal flu shot about a week ago so im guessing its not the flu! The question is i have a 4 month old daughter who i am with 24-7. How do i not give her what i have??? I'm so nervous shes going to get sick!

faithm127

Asked by faithm127 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be the flu---I have something simlilar too---my oldest DD had it for 2 days---i would say good handwashing--careful not to put anything of hers in your mouth(i used to clean a binky like that everynow and then) try to avoid holding her as much as possible, if you are BF and take meds make sure its safe to BF after....GL
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You only got the shot a week ago. It could still be the flu. It takes about 10 days for the vaccine to be effective and it's not 100% against any of the strains even the ones it's designed for. If it is one of the strains the shot was for, you should have a lighter case.

If she's going to get sick it's because you weren't taking proper precautions earlier. I'm sure you were, though. People are contagious even before they exhibit symptoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If you are bf'ing, keep doing so, she'll get your antibodies. Other than that just take normal precautions. Sneeze and cough into your elbow, wash hands, wash hands, wash hands - soap and warm water is best, better than hand sanitizers actually. Good luck, my kids are all sick, not the flu just a nasty cold with a cough, and it's lingering, my oldest has missed 4 days of school this week (though he's also got an ear infection)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• it could still be the flu or H1N1 flu, since you haven't had that shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Getting the flu shot only protects against the strains they put in the shot...you could have a strain that was not in the shot. If you develop vomiting and/or diarrhea then it's probably H1N1.

If you're breastfeeding, then I doubt your baby will get sick at all because your body is building up antibodies to the virus that will pass through your milk. If you aren't breastfeeding, I'd think about asking a grandparent to step in and care for you baby while you're contagious.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• sometimes when you get the shot it will give some people the flu symptoms. After all, they are injecting you with the flu.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No, the flu shot does NOT give you the flu! why is it so damn hard for people to read and remember that the shot has a DEAD virus in it and cannot give anyone the doggone flu!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• it must not be too dead for people to have all the side effects they get.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Well I had those SAME symptoms and so did my husband and we ended up with sinus infections, they are not supposed to be contagious but me and my husband get them together all the time and my son is fine all the time. But if it is a cold or something, just be careful, wash your hands a lot, humidfier, vicks for your little one- lots of water for lo too!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Personally I think a lot of people "get the flu" or "flu-like symptoms" after the shot because it's all in their heads. They are convinced they will get sick, so they do.
    Anonymous