I feel like a loser: bad teeth, very sensitive issue for me.

I have always had bad teeth. Not unattractive teeth, they are aligned and I never needed braces or anything - just that I get a lot of cavities. I have friends who never brush their teeth and never have had a cavity. I just found out that I have to have a tooth pulled! I am only 30 years old (almost) and already my teeth are starting to need major work. The tooth that is getting pulled is the result of a failed root canal.

Does anyone else have crappy teeth like me? Or am I right to feel like a jerk over this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You sound like me! My teeth are pretty much straight too, and I used to hope that my kids would get my teeth (and not my husband's) but, yeah, the past 10 years my teeth have deteriorated or something because I keep having problems! I've had two root canals, three wisdom teeth pulled, about a dozen cavities (I know that averages out in my case to one cavity a year and one root canal every quarter century, but when you're going through it, it seems so DAUNTING and BAD!). My best advice to you is look for a NICE, GENTLE dentist. You already know your teeth are bad, they don't need to make you feel worse about it. My dentist gave me a lecture last time so I'm looking for another nice one myself.
    Squeaky79

Answer by Squeaky79 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my DH does---he has only 2 molars left---The dentist says he has soft enamel---
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I did... my entire life... I remember being picked on in Elementary school and everything... and finally, about six months ago I went in and they pulled ALL my teeth at once. I recommend that because then you don't have to keep going back and you only hurt once. It was worth it, it really was. Now I have no toothaches, my mouth looks better (nice dentures), and it doesn't hurt when I eat really hot or really cold food.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I'm in the same boat- but somewhat worse it seems. My teeth appear beautiful- straight and white and all. I'm 25 and have 4 of my molars are gone already. I had a very hard time with it at first, but now it doesn't bug me all that much. I turned it around- would I love my DH or my friends any less becaue they'd had some teeth pulled?
    (BTW- my DH has perfect teeth and barely takes care of them. It makes me crazy. Our dentist has even told me to "put in an order" that our kids get his teeth.)
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My hubby has horrible teeth! he is only 27 he needs all his teeth pulled an needs false teeth but we dont have dental insurance an cant afford to pay out of pocket so his teeth just keep getting worse
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 8:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My husband has bad teeth, he is so sensitive about them. His parents never taught him to brush his teeth so he has to have a lot of work done. He was s embarrassed to go to the dentist for years but finally decided to go. He started to get them fixed already, and I can see he is more confident. The whole process will cost about $4000 but it is totally worth it. Feeling good about yourself is important.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We have similar teeth. Mine are perfectly straight, never had braces, but they are so delicate. They are sensitive. They are not as white as they could be (thanks to coffee) and they have soft enamel. 5 of my molars have crowns over root canals. I brush like the dentist says to. Sure, I don't floss, but it hurts! I get cavities easily.

I can't wait for dentures. Just pull out all my teeth and slap in a set of perfect, white, strong teeth! I'm only 32 though, so it will be a while...

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I rarely smile big because of my teeth. With no dental and four molars on left side broken and needing surgically removed. I had my first tooth pulled at 35. Now with no insurance all the ones that the Dentist I had as a child filled are crumbling. Because he drilled way too much tooth away. Of course there is no recourse to get him to pay for it as he is long retired. We went to the Dentist twice a year my whole life and people use to say what a beautiful smile I had. Now they don't even look the same. Not awful, but to me they are. I use to dream my teeth started falling out for no reason and I went to a dentist place with like 100 people in line and I'd stand there with my teeth breaking off then wake up in a panic and run my tongue thru my mouth. Now it's actually happening! Except the part where I go to a giant dental clinic with a line of people who's teeth are falling out. LOL. Now that ought to make you feel better.
    treece

Answer by treece at 5:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009