Think about it really hard...

Do you ever find your self being somewhat racist toward another person or group? Even if it just a fleeting thought that you know is not what you truly believe? I have found myself having these thought on a rare occasion and know that I know better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes unfortunately when I am angry my thoughts get ugly. Thankfully they don't come out my mouth and once the flash of anger is over the thoughts are gone. I wish they never happened at all.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I don't know if racist is the correct word, but yes I have judgemental thoughts about other groups of people on occasion. I try to ask myself WHY I'm thinking it and then look at the positive aspects of the group or person instead.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think- to some extent- its normal. We all have had positive and negative experiences that other people will reference in our physce. Granted, believing that split second assumption and not allowing the new person to be something different is wrong. To me, that type of thing is the same as when someone says something like "table" I think of a flat wooden surface and 4 legs- usually a dinning room set to be honest. That doesn't mean that end tables and coffee tables aren't tables- they just aren't my assumption.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes, because we all have the tendency for clumping people together in generalistions. We have to make the conscious effort to remember, that whilst on ocassion useful , it is on others grossly unfair. -- and to keep a healthy disrespect for things told you by certain news media !!! LOL

Oh and brain washing in childhood, LOL, I was brought up to hate the French, !!! I still am known for off the cuff ridiculous throw away statements about french food. !!!!!! LOL -- seems almost incurably , still working on it. !!!!
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 9:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes
    I feel really bad afterward and try to tell my family not to do that, but I actually think it sometimes or make assumptions about peoples ethnicity based on thier behavior.
    I know it isnt a christian way to be and I feel awful.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes, but I try not to let those thoughts affect my actions.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• racist thoughts no. judgemental thoughts yes.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• More judgemental toward certain people or groups of people. I do my best not to but sometimes they creep in.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yep... but just because the majority of the people I've come acrossmy entire life  in a certain group tend to be lazy moochers on welfare, drug addicts/dealers, fornicators with 10 children they don't pay support for, women beaters, trash-talking, thieving morons. I know it's not right to judge a group of people by the bad-seeds, but when most of them ARE bad seeds, then I feel I have that right to label them that way until I'm shown otherwise.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i agree with the majority of the PPs
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2009