A lifetime of good deeds vs one sin?

I realize many people believe being gay is a sin, and it is a repeated sin. (But who doesn't repeatedly sin?) And many people believe that gay people will be judged by God based on this one sin during their lives.
But what about the other aspects of their lives. My sister for example, has dedicated her life to working with emotionally damaged children and their families. She has dealt with kids who have no homes, are in foster homes and with kids who have been disowned by their family for being gay. She has spent countless hours in hopsitals when a child has been beaten or runaway and then found, or was a witness to their mother being killed. She has counseled family after family to help deal with a child has severe mental disorders.
The list is endless, and that doesn't even touch on who she is as a friend or sister or Auntie. She is a beautiful person.
So, what do you think she should be judged on?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I think you're sister sounds wonderful. In my opinion, the ones who are wrong are not gay people but those who think it's their job to judge those who are. To me judging someone for what they ARE instead of what they CHOOSE is insane. Badmouthing and mistreating others is a CHOICE. So is all the wonderful work to help others. There are good people who take care of themselves and don't harm others. They are great. Then there are those that reach out into the world we are all a part of and choose to make it better. These are the angels and saints as far as I'm concerned. If God is love, why do we humans think we get to dice up love into acceptable and unacceptable?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Her "adultery" shouldn't be charged any more harshly than someone else's gluttony or greed. If anything it should be judged less harshly since hers doesn't hurt anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• what is her 'sin'? all sin is the same, so says the scripture. unrepentent sin is unrepentent sin..so yes, if she has 'sin' in her life at her time of judgement, God will judge. IDK what he will do..but as an xtian, i believe everyone will be judged when their time comes. i don't believe God will pick deeds (done and undone) off a master list, get to the bad deed, and say , 'well, there ya go! ya screwed up, honey! off ya go!..NEXT!' that's how we humans tend to be. think of how we react when we hear of a pastor/priest/teacher/anyone in authority who has been found to be guilty of "?"...we automatically deny that person of all their good deeds, strip them of what makes them them, and label them as 'bad' or 'sinner'..poof! their whole life thrown in the toilet over one act of indiscretion. I think God waits for that person to repent..for only he knows their heart. sin need only be repented to God, not us. JMO
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• She will be judged on her overall conduct and compassion in my book, a lifetime of good deeds does not go unrecognized, the same goes true for my daughter. Even she says she doesn't beleive in God, her actions speak otherwise, I always tell her, you might not but he does.

Answer by older at 10:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It is not a score card. God set the standard, sin any sin is judged by Him. By His standard we are all guilty of sin and it's penalty. God's penalty for sin is death, both physical and spiritual. It is only by grace and accepting Christ's death on the cross that we are saved.

Now I know this will not be a popular answer but it is the truth.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• per my belief, a lifetime of good deeds mean nothing if you commit the sin of associating partners with God in terms of the hereafter. For those good deeds that people perform in this world like your sister, they will get rewarded here in this lifetime but not in the next if they do not belief in worshiping The creator of all mankind and accepting Prophet mohammad (may allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) as the final messenger.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Good works are not what save us. Salvation comes by grave and accepting Christ's death for us on the cross. Because we are saved we should want to do good works to glorify God, but the works themselves do not save us.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• P.S.. i forgot to mention that i do not believe.. that homosexuals will be judged solely on that sin. Allah promises the believing person (he whom worships him and beleives in his final messenger ) that the sins may be forgiven at his mercy AS long as they believe in Allah and his messenger.
    The only sin that won't be forgiven ever... is the sin of saying that God has partners(as per his revelation)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I do not believe that being gay is a sin. No one knows who or what someone will be judged by. Just because the bible that is used today says it means nothing. The bible was translated by King James who was a man and human. Therefore I have little faith in what another man has written. No one know for sure what the real bible says.

On a side note, I am Wiccan and do not believe in the bible.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• quote: all sin is the same, so says the scripture.

What scripture says is that all wrongdoing is sin, not that all sin is the same. Scripture says that some sin is greater than other sin, in Jesus' own words:

John 19:11
    "You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin."

and the bible also says

1 John 5:16
    If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

There is a clear difference between deadly sin and not deadly sin.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 12:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009