my one month old is very sensitive to formula we had to put him on the hypoallergenic kind but its so expensive has anyone has a good experience with the good start formula?

we have tried soy and it gives him the poops and i cant afford to buy a 25 dollars can of formula every 3 days

C.Lewis

Asked by C.Lewis at 9:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to give my middle child Similac Alimentum- cha ching. She couldn't even take my BM. My sister used good start and never had any issues with it.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The good start made my son very gassy, they have the powdered soy formula in large cans, and it is much cheaper, I am curious does he have an allergy to milk, is that why they changed him?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I really don't want to start drama, but 1 month isn't too late to relactate if you want to try breastfeeding.

My poor little niece is allergic to soy and dairy and they didn't learn that until she was allergy tested at 8 years old. She was so sick and miserable her whole first year and they never found a formula that she could handle.

If you end up doing ok with one of the Similac or Enfamil formulas, go out to their website and register. They will send lots of coupons...some even $5 off. Also, call them and tell them your baby has to have their formula, but money is tight and they'll keep sending you more coupons.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i cant breastfeed cause im on medication
    C.Lewis

Answer by C.Lewis at 10:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Talk to your doctor and insurance company. If there is a medical reason you need this special formula, you might be able to get the insurance company to cover at least part of it.

If you need hypoallergenic, you need hypoallergenic. There is no getting around it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What medication if you don't mind? Some doctors do not know about current medications and breastfeeding safety. If you would not want to breastfeed anyway -- that's fine.. but if the medication is the only reason we should totally make sure!! :)

The person who said getting them to send you coupons is right.. They will.. And your insurance may pay..

Goodstart is really not the best formula.. I personally went organic when I had to supplement to wean my son off formula. You can also find recipes to make your own formula that he might tolerate better and could possibly be cheaper, but you'd need to be very careful about the ingredients.

Do you possibly qualify for WIC assistance??

And - If it's a milk and soy allergy and you did try to breastfeed you'd need to stop eating/drinking milk and soy products yourself.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

There.. that way you don't have to say what med to us if you don't want to. That's the National Institute of Health database on medications and milk.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If you have insurance, some companies will reimburse you for a portion of the formula.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• APPLY FOR WIC, MY NIECE WAS ON IT. AND WIC COVER IT. OR SEE IF YOUR INSURANCE PAYS FOR IT. IF YOUR CHILD NEEDS IT DONT SKIP ON IT, OR YOU WILL HURTHIS HEALTH IN THE LONG RUN
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son's Dr put him on a Good Start and Goat's milk mixture for his sensitive stomach and it has made a huge difference! Ask your Dr though before you change anything, and if you explain that it simply costs too much maybe he can suggest something another brand for your little one or even give his thoughts on Good start.
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 4:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009