Why do we say bless you when someone sneezes?

Do you say bless you or God bless you? Or nothing?
WHY?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I say God Bless You because I hope he does. I think it's funny we only bless people when they sneeze :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Hmmm... good question! I'm not sure. But it's funny because now my 16 month old dd says "Cachoo" when someone sneezes! LOL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I say " bless you." Not " god bless you." and I say it because my gramma taught me that it was the polite thing to do. No other reason. LOL. It is amazing to really think about the things we do or say blindly because it is something that we were taught or picked up as children without really knowing why.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I say Gezundheit. I do it because it's polite, and wishes them good health.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It's an old thing that was said to prevent the evil spirits from coming back into you when you sneeze them out.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Bless you
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I say God Bless you, I was told that everytime you sneeze you heart stops beating for a second. So saying bless you or god bless you was a way of saying you were blessed because you heart started beating again not sure how true that is but it works for me,
    Jacqalyn

Answer by Jacqalyn at 10:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I say bless you to be respectful, if someone doesn't like it then they shouldn't make a big deal out of it when someone is trying to be kind. I think the Bless You thing started a long time ago, b/c it used to be believed that when you sneezed it was your spirit trying to leave your body or that your spirit could leave your body that way....or something like that.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It was believed that when you sneezed, your spirit would leave your body, so they say bless you, it wouldn't leave.
    padavali

Answer by padavali at 10:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Tis believed to keep the spirit within you
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2009