Did you ever send someone in jail $$$?

I have a cousin in jail who wrote to me asking for $$$ so he can buy a TV in jail! He needs $200! This isn't a cousin I was ever close to. I'm a SAHM, who lives comfortably with what we have and can't afford to be sending people in jail money! I think of it as we pay for that through our taxes already. They never have to worry about buying clothes, food, paying bills, etc. "You make your own bed now you have to sleep in it"! I just feel bad writing back with out sending what he asked for....what would you do?

Ps....he's not that bad of a person either! He got into an altercation w/a dude and broke his nose or something and was on probation. He will be out in May.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Theres gotta be a cheaper tv, I'd say 200 is too much for me right now, is there any cheaper ones or can I go half on the tv with another family member. May is right around the corner. But to him it will take forever to get here. If it will help him to pass the time, I say do what you can. Consider it a christmas present. You never know when you may need him.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No, but my husbands grandma does it for his aunt who's in prison and her son - his cousin who's in jail! It's rediculous!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't send it either. I think it is fair to say you just don't have that much extra money and you have to take care of your family first. If you aren't that close he really should be asking someone else anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Heck no. What an odd request.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No not personally but my grandparents send my uncle money for thing like toothpaste , a toothbrush, soap, shampoo, paper, stamps and envelopes and also money for snacks. Which they have to do atleast every 2 months or so . Because the prison does a clean up where they go in and throw away all their stuff and then they have to start all over again. But I wouldn't send money for a Tv maybe books but not a tv.
    Jacqalyn

Answer by Jacqalyn at 10:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• That's a lot of money for him to be asking you to take away from your family! I would be offended. He may not seem like that bad of a person but his priorities are all wrong. Now, if he had asked for you to send books, or to write to him, that would be one thing but he can live without TV. He'll probably be released earlier than May anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• That's alot of money for him to be asking for. Some people are just inconsiderate. I would send him like $50 and tell him that's all you can afford and may another family member can give him the rest. $200 can feed your family. I'm sorry I'd rather put food on the table then worry about my cousin in jail. I've been there-my cousin was in jail also for petty stuff for 6 months and he got a few letters and that was it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i havent and wouldnt -- but my inlaws do -- my BIL, nephew in law, and then one of their cousins were all in jail at the same time....inlaws would easily spned $1000 on them...letting their own bills and everything come second.;

they even kept trying to borrow money off of us...

and of course, they have all been to jail more than once..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Um no, but my DH has several ex's that spent some time in jail...yeah quality I know...anyway we did get a letter once asking us to send her money. We didn't send it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• For a TV no way, I didn't even know they were allowed to have that kind of stuff in there. I have only sent money to one person in jail before and I was not related to him. I became close with an employee of my husbands. Nicest, sweetest, hard working, well mannered, caring individual I have ever met. He had a rough life and couldn't ever catch a break. He had cancer and beat it, still worked even when sick and against my words, his wife left him and took everything, she went back to their house for the dog and had an altercation with her. Her boyfriend hit him over the head with a bottle and attempted to stab him when he threw a brick at his head knocking him out cold. He was arrested and sentenced to 5 years for aggravated battery charges. We write each other once a month and I send money orders to the jail to pay for his lab tab with the jail, $70 so far.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009