Need your help... What do you think!? Dates are messed up and I want to cry

I found out 3 weeks ago I am preg. with number 2! I was 1 week late, so I took a test and here we are :o) Well I went to my doctors and he did an internal and said my uterus is measing about 6 and a half weeks... Which I agree with. I had blood work done and my ranges where right around 7 weeks (The blood was taken 48 after my apt) and I had an ultra sound This past Monday and he said I measured 5 weeks... WHAT! He didnt do an internal ultrasound, but with my son up to 9 weeks I had to have one. How is this possible? I have another one in 2 weeks, but I am so lost! How can my body say I'm about 8 weeks and he measured 5? It was a fast apt. and I think he just didnt get it right. Or can you find out your preg. at 2 weeks and miss a period after only 1 week? I know the baby will come when its ready. But I am showing, started to show with my first at 8 weeks and this one I started when I thought I was about 6. So... please help!

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 10:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its normal your still very early go with the blood test because it is more accurate trust me im on my 3rd baby good luck!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yeah, I'd go with the due date of your earliest u/s. The earlier the more accurate. Also, that early in pregnancy, abdominal u/s are not as accurate.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Babies grow at different rates. At my 1st u/s, based on my last period, I should have been almost 10 weeks and measured 8. 4.5 weeks later, my next us measured me at 15 weeks. Don't worry about it, ultrasounds are an 'educated guess'.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 3:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Go with the blood work. I am an x-ray tech at a hospital and I hear my ultrasound friend tell me all the time that she could measure something and then have another person go behind her and measure and the numbers would be different. Blood work is measured by a machine. Machines are universal and do not have "opinions". Something as simple as the transducer not measuring at the largest circumfrence can throw measurements off pretty bad. If the technologist was in a hurry and did sloppy work (which sounds like the deal in your case) the numbers could have been way off. At your next ultrasound, politely tell the utrasound tech your concerns and ask them to really take their time with their measurements because it is really important to you that they get the measurements correct. If they get upset by this ask for another technologist. You are the patient. You deserve the best care possible!
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• your body is probably measuring bigger than normal bc it's been less than a year since you've had your first. your body already knows what to do and it's going ahead and preparing.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009