Christians, what are some of the religious traditions you keep as a family?

I want to start incorporating some family traditions and religion. Our children are young and I want to start a family tradition. We go to church on Christmas, however, I would like to celebrate the entire season.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am talking about Christmas but please feel free to include all holiday and ordinary time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• grace before meals
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• being raised baptist, i never 'celebrated' xmas eve at church. if it fell on a sunday/wednesday, yes..or if the church i attended had a special service, yes. but to actually attend an xmas eve service...not until i married an episcopalian. its a beautiful service (mass, by candlelight)! although we do not attend the episcopal church, we still attend xmas eve mass/midnight mass.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Get yourself a nativity scene. Set it up and explain about the birth of Jesus to your children and how this is what Christmas is about. Leave your decorations up until the Epiphany and explain this to them as well. Church every Sunday is a good idea. I agree with grace before all meals. Let them participate in youth groups of Sunday School at church. Religion is for all seasons. : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would start by going to church every Sunday and not just on Christmas. If you want to teach your children about believing in Christ, it has to be part of your everyday life. We talk about Christ all the time. When the girls have a bad dream, we tell them to pray until they fall asleep. We say grace at every meal. We sing songs that worship Him. On Christmas eve we read the story of His birth in the Bible. Christ is just a part of our everyday lives.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We go to Church on Sunday all year round. I like the pray before meals idea. I did that when I wasa kid. I don't know how that slipped away from me.
    Anonymous

• We set up a nativity scene, watch some classics like "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" which has a great scene of Old Mr. Krueger (Jimmie Stewart) stumbling upon the nativity scene in a dream and what he has to say to the Baby Jesus is just so sweet.

It's also a great time to think about giving as a family to those in greater need than you and relate it to the parable in Mathew 25 about how giving service to others is like giving service to the Lord.
    Anonymous