Advice/suggestions from pro photographers

I've been considering the idea of trying to start my own photography business. I take great pics with my digital camera. My concern is, is a digital camera good enough to run a business? And what other equipment do I need? I mean, in terms of printing the pics for the clients, what kind of printer, is a regular computer good enough, things like that? And how do you determine how much to charge? And about the printing, too, can you use a service like snapfish or something for printing? I'm just looking for some pros to give me thier experiences to know if this is something I can do, want to do, and how I would go about it. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• My sister in law is a professional photographer and she does all her work with a digital camera - but it's a digital camera with all the bells and whistles. She charges a flat fee (it's like $250 or so for a sitting fee, more for over 5 people), but then she gives the clients a CD of all the pictures she took. She guarantees a minimum of X number of pics. Then the client can take that CD wherever they want and print as many pics in whatever sizes they would like.
    I have a family of 6 and she does my pics for free, but we got a great "family" shot, individuals of our kids, a group shot of our kids, and a couples picture of my dh and me all in one sitting. And I could print out the ones I wanted in the correct sizes (I send mine to Walgreens for processing), no having to buy them a sheet at a time. It would have been well worth the $250 for all the different shots I got.

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009