Conversion

If you belong to one religious path and then convert away from it, were you ever a true believer in the first?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont think so.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was raised Christian but never believed it all in the first place so I wouldn't say I converted.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• sorry it the button before i finished my answer lol...i don't think so, if you are one religion then "switch" to another i think you just didn't find the right path for you to begin with.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was raised Christian, but never believed it. So as an adult I followed the path that came natural to me. At heart I was always Pagan, so I don't feel as if I converted. But then I never clamed to be Christian even then.

But I know many people that had been firm in their beliefs or firm in there previous path before conveting to their current religion. So that is what makes me ask. And here's something else. If you really weren't a true believer or were lacking something in the previous path, why did you stay there?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• . If you really weren't a true believer or were lacking something in the previous path, why did you stay there?

For me, I didn't actively step "out" of my childhood religion until I was an adult. Moreso because, I wasn't ever taught that it was ok to go my own path. I was taught it was wrong to not believe in God. I did or stayed in what my brain had been taught since I could remember. To break free of that "indoctrination" (which is a nice word for brain wash, IMO) I first had to get out on my own. It was after I moved out and started to REALLY live my own life that I discovered what it was that I did nor did not believe in, AND that it was OK!

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i think its personal passion that proves whether you were truly a believer in whatever. (bad analogy coming..just a warning)..my entire life i disregarded spinach as food. it looks nasty, it smells atrocious, and feels disgusting. i likened it (and still do) to mown, wet grass. yucky! however, at one time, i ate it with cheeses..ala manicotti, i think was the entree. hmm..whattayaknow! i liked it. it wasn't as nasty and unfoodlike as i'd always believed. now, with that thought in mind, did my newfound 'like' (still not 'love') of spinach's place in the food-kingdom negate what i'd always known (for myself)? no...i simply changed my mind.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Sabrina, I am the same way. I was raised Christian but found my questioning. A few months ago, I found out I was Wiccan and I follow that path.

Not many people in my family know that I am Wiccan. My husband says I shouldn't "display" it but I am proud of who I am and happy. I do not hide my thoughts or feelings on a subject.

To answer the question-no I do not think you are a true believer. I also feel that it can take some time to "try on" different religions to find the one that you believe in.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was raised nominally Christian. As a child I 'thought' I was Christian because I did not have a good idea of what Christianity was all about. I had my own beliefs about God and was surprised when, as a teen, I tried to find out more about Christianity and discovered that my idea of God and the Christian idea of God were very different. This led me to look into other belief systems- ultimately I found that my ideas of God/human nature/reality were more in keeping with the Dharmic traditions (Hinduism/Buddhism/Jainism) than the Abrahamic tradition that I thought I was in keeping with. Ultimately I practice Buddhism. So no, I was not a 'firm' believer in Christianity... the more I found out about it, the more I found that, although there are aspects of Christianity that I do like and agree with, I did not meet the 'entrance criteria' to be Christian.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was raised Christian and can say with confidence that when I was in high school, I was a true believer. I was active in my church and youth group. I was baptized and saved. I had faith, and I wasn't looking for another path.

Some people change, and so do their ideals. It was a gradual process for me to step away from my faith. I became lax in going to church, and I eventually questioned too many things about the bible and other religions. Science and logic won over stories of gods and miracles, and I am happy today as a non-believer.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes, you can be a true believer and still convert at some point down the line.

We(general)change. Our minds change, our thinking changes, our perceptions change and sometimes with that comes inner changes as we evolve and come out of our various pretty boxes and see differences.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009