do you warn your young children about being kidnapped

with all the children getting kiddnapped now are you warning you children not to walk far from you in stores at home....its so scarry i tell my 4 year old she has to stay close b/c thier are mean people that could take her and i might never see her again (she sees the little girls on tv that have been kidnapped she don't know they end up dead though) its bad to tell them that but its such a problem i am scared everywhere i go....tomorrow being halloween wonder how many kids will be kidnapped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I will be yes! My 13 month old watches HLN with me, I want her to know what this world is really like.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes. I tell my boys that there are good people and bad people. they are not allowed to talk to strangers unless they ask me first or unless i spoke to that stranger first. Except for employees of a store, because (for the time being) we consider them "safe" people. We talk about how if they get lost they are to find someone with a name tag who is wearing such and such kind of shirt. So far, they do really good.
    They also know their full name and birthday. They know to dial 911 if there is an emergency. And we are working on getting my older boy to remember our home number.

I've also told them that if someone DOES try to take them that they need to scream and yell and fight and kick etc etc. They are to do this no matter what the "bad person" says. ...They have a better chance of getting away if they fight.

We ALSO talk about molestation by family members and friends. (as well as strangers) ...yea. i think we cover it all.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• oh. they also know my full name and my DH's full name.

They are almost 4 and almost 5.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Oh. ...and i do not allow them to watch any news with me. I want them to be aware of the dangers, but i do not want them to be frightened of the world.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My oldest knows there are bad people out there who like to take kids. I tell him this because he sees nothing wrong with leaving the house without telling me where he is going. He usually ends up at his friends in the same apt complex but there was one or two incidents where he walked out when I was in the other room without a word. He also knows about sex offenders, not opening the door without asking who is there first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I tell my kids the truth. they are paraniod but i'd prefer that over them being missing.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 11:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have asked our boys what they would do in certain situations... Like if someone were to offer them something, tell them they have to get it out of their car etc.. I have told them if they are ever in any situation like that they are run to an adult they know and scream the whole way. Draw as much attention to themselves as possible. Also we have a safe word. It's very rare that they are anywhere that I'm not. I don't trust very many people so they haven't ever been in a daycare, or an unrelated babysitter. They have only gone with family. I know it may seem paranoid but we have lived near 2 horribly bad kidnapping cases. One ended better than the last one that just happened about 20 miles from here....A 15 yr old girl kidnapped and murdered a 9 yr old girl. It's so scary. When we go trick or treating it will be in a well lit subdivision, with me and only for about an hour. They have to learn to have responsible fun...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• the barenstein bears have a learn about strangers book that is great, it goes into that not all strangers are bad, can judge someone by how they look, and what to never do (take stuff, leave with them, tell them where you live, etc) i would recommend it, i also teach and if i have a kid who leaves the playground w/o permission (and they cant leave even with permission except to go into the school for something) they get the whole --- what could happen to them lecture...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We had touched lightly on things at first, kind of candy coated things and then in 1995 when they were 9, 7, 5 and 3 they left a neighbors yard and wandered away. They didn't quite understand what bad things could happen. After that we told them EXACTLY what a bad person would do to them, we did not mince words (they're boys so we were specific of what a male did to boys). We taught our children what to say and do if someone approached them, we taught them what to do if they felt like someone was following them when they were older, we taught them what to say to someone who asked them to come to the car & take something to mail for them or to help find a lost puppy, we taught them to walk on the sidewalks facing oncoming cars, we drilled in to them safety in numbers and groups. They are now 23, 22, 19 and 17 and are very well adjusted, non-paranoid individuals. They survived to adulthood...that's what matters.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and I think we should tell our kids about the dangers out there. I tell my 4 yr old more then my 2 yr old cuz of couse he dont understand as much but I dont scare him either. I just tell him that sometimes mean people take kids and the mommy and daddy are sad so that is why he should always stay with me when we are not at home. He isnt scared by any means I think just a little more aware.
    blkmom2

Answer by blkmom2 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009