melaleuca gel during pregnancy???

im 8 weeks pregnant today and have had horrible acne type breakouts since i found out i was pregnant.. i know alot of the over the counter acne treatments are a no-no during pregnancy but im wondering about melaleuca gel (T36-c5 oil is the active ingredient). ive googled it and cant really find anything about using it during pregnancy. it says its good for acne and i actually put it on a pimple the other night and in the morning it was gone! but im afraid to use anymore in case its not safe..

anybody have any info?? or know where i can get some facts about this oil.. thank you!

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would DEAL WITH THE ZITS! You are carring life inside you. You are beautiful! Once your belly starts to show you will be so proud, who cares about the acne? I had a face full the 1st trimester and then it started to clear up as my preg. progressed.... Good Luck!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 12:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Melaleuca is the scientific name for Tea Tree. While there is not enough scientific evidence at this time to say for certain that it is safe for use during pregnancy (this is true for most products on the market, prescriptions included), the product you've purchased is very diluted. Some sites claim there is a slight increase in the chance of miscarriage, however considering the properties of Tea Tree oil, I don't know where they get that from.

The oil applied to the skin will not cross the placenta, so no harm should come to your little one. I use Tea Tree in my cleaning products at home, and I'm not worried in the least. I'd rather use that than bleach any day.

If you're interested in more information, I'd suggest getting the book Aromatherapy for Mother and Baby by Allison England. I recommend it to all of my clients who are pregnant or have children.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 12:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009