10 months old

Is there any advice on how to get my 10 month old to take a nap when he is exhausted. He literally fights his nap now. He usually takes two naps but just trying to get him to take one is beginning to become harder and harder. I have tried rocking him, laying him down by himself, putting toys in his bed for him to play with til he goes to sleep, letting him cry it out, music in the back ground, rubbing his back and nothing seems to be working. I try to put him down as soon as I see him getting tired but that doesn't work. I have even done the car ride and this sometimes works but I don't want him to rely on a car ride to go to sleep every day. Please if you have any other suggestion please let me know :)

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow i had that problem with my son now 18months he still does so justkeep him on his reguler schedule and let him play in his room (no him bed) but make sure that he cant hurt himself though tats how i do mine and he usuallycrys for 10-15 min then starts to play then takes a nap
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What time does he get up in the morning and how long at night is he sleeping?

My 10 month old goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up once during the night (sometimes not at all) and then is up between 6-7 am. I used to give her 2 naps but have cut down to 1 because she sleeps better at night that way. What I do is put her down at 11 when my 3 year old goes down, sometimes between 11-12 depending on when she got up and how much we did in the morning. When naptime is coming, I give her a bottle, then we go upstairs, I give her her binky, cover her up, leave the room and shut the door. She doesn't cry but she does talk to herself and play for about 10 mins, then crashes for about 1.5-2 hours.

I'm sure you do anyway, but before putting him down make sure he's really ready to nap, that he's full and dry, then leave him. If he's really tired he will probably go to sleep within 10-20 min, if not he's prob not ready to sleep yet. GL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Thanks for the advice. tnm786...he wakes up between 7 and 8:30. Usually has nap 1 to 2 hours after waking up and usually sleeps bout 7 to 8 hours at night. Maybe this is just a stage...cuz he used to nap very well and now its so hard to get him to sleep. I finally after him fighting for an hour got him to go to sleep. This was a short fight compared to the rest of this week...fighting for 2 to 6 hours. I feel like I am going insane sometimes trying to get him to sleep.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• for a fighter like mine,. I did all those things too - from the time he was 8 months old til about 19 months he would cry himself to sleep and nap time EVERDAY/EVERYTIME for up to 45 minutes.. he just was MAD about having to go down, we had a routine, and no matter what I did he ended up putting himself to sleep this way - I think some kids are just fighters and don't want to miss out on anything.. i did literally everything with my son and just ended up having to let him put himself to bed in his crib. now he's 23 months and once he understood more and we could reason more, he got SO Much easier and now doesn't go down with a fight 90% of the time.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009