My child refuses to eat breakfast in the morning!

He gags at everything I try to give him to eat, toast, cereal, poptarts, pancakes! I've tried everything! He normally would eat this throughout the day but just is not good with breakfast. I'm thinking of starting to make him some kind of filling protein drinks I can make. Got any suggestions? Is Boost okay for him to have? I need something that's going tobe filling but nutritious.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 11:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• These are good suggestions but I wanted to chime in and say that maybe he just doesn't like bfast TYPE foods. How about offering him other types of easy to make foods that are usually thought of as lunch or snack ideas. I thought of this because my sisters kids routinely eat soup mac n'cheese and leftvover dinners for bfast. Mine LOVE bfast so I don't have this prob but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents! Have a wonderfual day Mamaada and talk to you soon!
    : ) Love, Kim
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Make a breakfast that can stay on the table until lunch time, Maybe he's a brunch person
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• How about fruit smoothies made with yogurt? And maybe put it in a "to-go" cup for him to drink on his way to school (if he rides in a car or bus).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I agree these are good suggestions, however maybe your child is like my oldest son (and me) just not a big breakfast eater. My oldest son LOVED breakfast until he was about 4. Then he just didn't care for it. I figure he's old enough to know if he's hungry...he knows during the week it's breakfast then nothing until lunch at school. Sometimes he will eat 1/2 of a poptart, sometimes (majority of days) he eats nothing for breakfast. not everyone likes breakfast!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Carnation Instant Breakfast tastes good and has vitamins and protein and all. Plus it's a cheaper than Boost and tastes a lot better than Boost. Try that out on him and see if that works. What does he eat on the weekends? Does he prefer to eat later? That may be the problem is that he doesn't like to eat so early in the morning.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my middle dd did the same thing .

she hates breakfast foods. I give her grilled cheese, or other typically LUNCH things for breakfast.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Don't force him to eat. Many people can't eat right away in the morning. I can't and neither can my son. I get sick, if I eat too soon after waking up. I need atleast an hour if not longer before I can eat. See if he will eat a pb&j sandwich, leftover pizza, it doesn't have to be a breakfast food. Maybe a glass of juice or a smoothie. My son had snack at 9:30, so, I just sent him a good snack and he was fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My now 9 year old didn't eat breakfast for a while. Then he tried what I eat for breakfast, usually some type of "bar" - Nutrigrain, FiberOne, etc and he really liked them. They aren't the healthiest thing for a growing boy, but they aren't bad either and he can eat one of those quick before he runs out to the bus.

Answer by missanc at 4:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was tortured every day of my life for years as a child because my mother was adamant that I was going to eat breakfast, and my system was equally adamant that if I even looked at food that time of day, I was going to be sick. On mornings I can/do eat something, it simply cannot be breakfast foods, ever, so I agree with maybe letting him try non-standard morning foods. Most of my academic career was achieved on an empty stomach, and I was an A student. I gotta say, when nearly every morning involves a huge battle and/or losing breakfast you didn't even want, it does not promote warm, fuzzy feelings for food, mornings or mom. It's not worth it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my 5 yr old is also the same way...i recently just started giving her the carnation instant choc. powder mixes..and she looooooves it!! so i either give her that, or i get my juicer out, and make her some juice!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2009