2nd question (Same 2 1/2 yr old) How long am I suppose to continue to fix her a seperate dinner than what everyone else has?

I was told not to keep giving in to her demands and if she doesn't want to eat whats for dinner. She get the understanding that this is what's for dinner and go ahead and eat what's given. She refuses to eat anything other than chicken nuggets & fries. So, instead of always doing a seperate dinner for her, I offered her a plate of what we had. Nothing big, turkey, stuffing, potatoes & gravy. She wouldn't eat it. After 10 minutes, I let her leave the table. After a few minutes, asked again but she didn't want dinner only cookies. I told her she could have cookies after she ate. We tried this about 3 times last night & she refused to eat. So I gave her her milk & then water & sent her to bed. This morning pulled out her plate of dinner. Once again she refused to eat. Even when I make eggs or oatmeal, she expects me to keep giving her anything & everything she asks for. At what point will she eat what's given to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DONT GIVE UP. she will eat when she is hungry. I have a similar problem except my 2 1/2 yr old just gets down from the table. I give her 2 warnings that if she doesnt sit and eat she gets no snack or other food. and yes she has to go to bed hungry. She is a muncher and is constantly munching on somehting so for her to sit and eat a meal is a pain. She has to go potty 3 times during dinner or check on someting in her room, or whatever else excuse she comes up with. its horrible and i feel bad when she goes to bed hungery (which is usually 3 nights a week anymore) but she will learn.

And you want a child to eat right - so stick too it . she will be fine and you will thank yourself later!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If she doesn't eat at dinner then she only gets fruit for a snack...in the morning, serve her breakfast (not leftovers from dinner), if she doesn't eat, she must wait until the next meal or snack...until she eats what is served, all snacks should be fruits or veggies. Keep doing this until she realizes that she can eat what you serve or not eat and wait until the next meal. If you give in even once, she knows that she can manipulate you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Well, at 2 1/2 ...it might take a few days. Like 3-7 days.
    but don't worry! she wont let herself starve.
    You're doing the right thing. Be consistent. Don't back down now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• By two, my daughter was expected to have the same meals as the rest of the family.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; eventually your toddler will get the message.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I've tried this before and gave in. I don't want her go go to bed hungry. But I can't afford to keep throwing away food either. I think last time I did it for the day and by bed time she had won.

Anonymous

• I don't want her go go to bed hungry

She will learn to eat when she's hungry...Just offer a variety of things (from your leftovers too) so that there are several veggies to choose from, and keep in mind that if you only give the amount you want her to eat, she will not eat it all...put more on the plate than you ever expect her to eat and she will end up eating more. Each time you give in, it only re-inforces that she can be the boss over the situation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Keep at it. She won't go hungry.

This is why I never fixed separate meals once they were on table foods.
    Anonymous

• dont offer a snack period- if she doesnt eat dinner she doesnt eat- if shes hungry later reoffer her dinner (warmed up)
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 12:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We are wondering that too. My son will be 2 next week and he's lately been not wanting to eat at dinner time. but he's SO skinny and has never been interested in eating anyway. he just can't afford to NOT eat so it makes us sad.. I still dont' give in, if he doesn't eat dinner he only gets water, no snacks but it doesn't really phase him either. He just wakes at 4:30am screaming for breakfast.. then what? so I end up getting up at 4:30 or listen to him scream being hungry?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i was always told i had to eat what was on the table or i went with out.
    if u sit her ther long anough shell eat it
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 1:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009