Samhain is here - and I have no ancestors...

I know that Samhain is a time to remember and honor our ancestors. But I don't really have any to honor. I know very little about my family and heritage. And those that I did know were not good people. My family has been made up of drunks, addicts, rapests and catholics for the last 200 years as far as I know. These are not people I wish to honor or even be assosicated with.

How can I honor the past without attaching myself to such negative people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry about those horrible Catholics, maybe just stick to remembering the good in drunks, addicts, and rapists - I'm sure there was something.
    Anonymous

• Go to a cemetery and clean up the trash, dust the gravestones/sweep the grave sites. Read the gravestones and reflect on what kind of person they might have been. etc etc.

I will be taking my sons to a cemetery this year because all of our ancestors were cremated and spread. So we will be talking about our deceased loved ones and how important it is to honor ALL the dead because they all have taught us lessons.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Anon - I have never been told a good thing about a one of them. And don't really remember much either. In fact I only have a very few memories of my Grandfather and his parents. None of them are good. Usually it involved him being drunk and violent. No one I want to be assosiated with...
    Anonymous

• celebrate what you have

create something for your children and ancestors to celebrate about YOU. be that person you wish that YOU had to celebrate at this time so that when you are long gone they'll look back fondly.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Everyone has ancestors, if you don't like the ones you knew, honor your ancestors of the ancient past. You can even honor a specific culture that you feel a connection with "our Greek ancestors" or "the Celts of old that gave us _____". If you are interested in tending graves as part of ancestor worship you can go to a cemetery & "adopt" some neglected graves.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• There are more than bloodlines that constitute ancestors, imo.

If there are people who you have been close to who have passed on or people you remember fondly you can honor them.

I love Outstandings idea about cleaning up the cemetary too cuz many times it gets vandalized this time of year.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I agree with the above.

And you could borrow my ancestors, but they're mormons, polygamists, etc. lol ^_^ Seriously, though, I think ancestors don't necessarily have to be family ~ they could be friends, coworkers, people you admire.. :)
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 2:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Look to it also at the new year.
    Use last year as your "past".

Learn and grow from it.

Blessed be!
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• In the tradition I follow, "ancestors" also include those that have taught us the wisdom we have. Honor them.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You have ancestors just not ones you care to honor, surely every single person in your family cannot have been a horrible person.

As a Catholic I do have to express some dismay that you seem to equate being Catholic with being a drunk, or an addict, or a rapist. That seems a very similar mindset to those who equate being Wiccan with evil devil worshippers.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 3:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2009